GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel rail cover mounting studs

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Wojtek
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wojtek

Wojtek

Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Empty
PostSubject: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2022 4:48 pm

I picked up a set of NOS Corvette fuel rail covers and I know the mounting studs are unavailable . What has anybody who has done this used for a replacement ? Lucked out and found a Corvette brake booster hose another part no longer available so I'm on my way to finishing my engine detail little by little .
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 pm

You may be able to get the studs at a hardware store. There are specialty screw/bolt sellers that may have a suitable replacement.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 3:35 pm

Personally I would recommend against this. I know it looks cool but the B-body harness was never designed to be forced down into that area. With the age of these cars, you may introduce cracks in the insulation that will cause moisture-related gremlins that will be maddening to diagnose. I may be OCD on this, but it's something to consider.

There are other (aftermarket) LT1 fuel rail covers that don't require as much stress on the wiring harness. I would strongly recommend those.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 4:59 pm

You may be able to get longer studs, and put short spacers or standoffs under the covers.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Wojtek

Wojtek

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Personally I would recommend against this. I know it looks cool but the B-body harness was never designed to be forced down into that area. With the age of these cars, you may introduce cracks in the insulation that will cause moisture-related gremlins that will be maddening to diagnose. I may be OCD on this, but it's something to consider.

There are other (aftermarket) LT1 fuel rail covers that don't require as much stress on the wiring harness. I would strongly recommend those.
I've read the pluses and minuses about doing this mod and like you I'm OCPD challenged . That being said I'm going to take my time and I'm familiar with wiring plus my car's electrical is in pretty good shape .I had a guy that was supposed to make me a stainless set which I was going to powder coat then when I was ready to pull the trigger he raised his price by 30 dollars and was going to charge me for shipping For all intent purposes I don't see a big difference between the NOS and custom made ones they all mount similarly you still have to massage the harness to make it work .
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 7:35 pm

Use longer all thread. Drill through the mounting holes on the covers. Run a nut down for the cover to rest on at the correct height. Cap with a black acorn nut. It will look stock to almost everyone.

Just thinking out loud.
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Use longer all thread. Drill through the mounting holes on the covers. Run a nut down for the cover to rest on at the correct height. Cap with a black acorn nut. It will look stock to almost everyone.

Just thinking out loud.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, but I would add an extra nut at the bottom of the all thread to lock it in place, so you don't have it bottomed and possibly jammed, or come loose.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 5:33 am

Dammit. It's CDO... in alphabetical order.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel rail cover mounting studs    Fuel rail cover mounting studs  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel rail cover mounting studs
Page 1 of 1