GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

coolant light burning after service

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dutch-Bob

coolant light burning after service Empty
PostSubject: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 1:17 am

Darned! I meant so well...
I have serviced my '95 Caprice as should, by also exchanging the coolant.
What do you think?
First I had an air bubble in my system.
Drove the car...beautiful car... for quite some miles, without any problem on the gauges.
And after a night cooling down, the bubble was gone and the coolant level in the reservoir perfect.
But now still the coolant light is burning?
I had to take out the sensor at the driver side to tap off the coolant from the engine.
That was really scary, as there was almost no way on the wire to turn loose the sensor.
And you guess right, turning it back was maybe even more scary;
Turning it counter clockwise several times more than it felt good, in order to be able to mount it back by turning clockwise too often.
So I am really scared the sensor lost proper contact now, or is there a way to reset the computer and get rid' of the light, like shouting at me; hey you....
Tell me something nice please>
By the way, I replaced the shock by new Monroes, as the originals were stll there and did absolutely nothing anmore.
It now drives like fa-bu-lous! It responds on a bump in the road and then stops jumping after 1 time only, really good behaviour now without losing the comfort, a really good tip to share!
Hope for a tip from one of you guys!
Stay safe!
Back to top Go down
https://www.electronicatools.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 8:14 am

Changing the shocks is probably the cause of the coolant light.

Seriously, you could have damaged the sensor. I do not understand which sensor you removed. If you removed the sensor for the temp, it should not affect the light. The light is turned on by a level sensor on the right side of the radiator for low coolant. It does not require any turning of the wire to remove it, just pressing on the sides. The sensor screws into the radiator, and usually breaks during the attempt to remove it. I do not know if it is produced aftermarket, but the last time I checked there were 2 available somewhere in Georgia for an astronomical amount of money. I keep a couple used ones for spares. When installing the part, I put anti-seize on the threads. The only reliable source for them is the local p-n-p junk yard.
Back to top Go down
Dutch-Bob

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 10:07 am

Hi Fred,
Thank you for your reply!
I meant the sensor at the left bottom side of the engine block.
That was in order to fully drain the coolant from the engine.
Otherwise you can only drain from the tap at the bottom of the radiator.
So let's see what your suggested sensor does in the radiator.
Maybe that is at low level indeed.
Mechanics are fine, but electronics...? Terrible.
I sell soldering equipment for a living for 28 years now, but have no idea about electronics.
As i am almost 54, I have no intentions to study electronics, not necessary for soldering technology.
In the weekends I get greasy hand on my American automobiles for hobby; fabulous!
I'll keep you posted on what I find tomorrow!
Thanks for now from Holland...not Michigan, the real one! coolant light burning after service 1f600
Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 10:31 am

If he is referring to the coolant level sensor, I think that will be on the bottom of the overflow tank reservoir like it is on our 96 RMW.  Very common for them to fail, I think, during flushes or low levels of coolant.
Back to top Go down
Dutch-Bob

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 11:16 am

Thank you booster!
Is there a way to measure if they are good or bad?
By measuring resistance or so?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 12:09 pm

I did not take note of the year. The level sensor is in the tank, not the radiator like the 91-93. When the sensor is not covered with coolant, the circuit will not be grounded, and the light turns on.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2022 5:04 pm

All the vets know that sensor sticks. All the time. Here's how to get the light to go off:
- open hood
- open reservoir
- add a little coolant, slight overfill
- go start car
- come back and hit the reservoir HARD with the side of your fist a few times. Like you're pounding on a desk in a detective movie. Almost hurting your hand. That hard.
- go look at your dash, bet the light is off

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dutch-Bob

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 1:51 am

Fabulous! LOL!
Do you also repair TV's that way?
I'll keep your advice in mind!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 11:15 am

No, I take TVs apart and replace the broken part. Don't "keep it in mind", go do it. It will very likely fix your light.
Back to top Go down
Dutch-Bob

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Hey there Jay (oldschool) we had such a laugh, my neighbour mechanic friend and I today; did exactly what you told me to do, and guys, pay attention; it worked!! LOL LOL!!
how funny that was, I filled up the container, started the engine, slapped the container with flat hand and guess what? the light is off!! Very Happy cheers cheers Very Happy bounce bounce

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm

We've got a few more tricks when you need them ;-)
Back to top Go down
Dutch-Bob

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2022 3:49 pm

Thank you, it was so much fun!
Keep them rolling!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coolant light burning after service   coolant light burning after service Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

coolant light burning after service
Page 1 of 1