GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trailer brakes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pontdog@nb.sympatico.ca

trailer brakes Empty
PostSubject: trailer brakes   trailer brakes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2022 7:00 pm

i have a 91 caprice wagon with HD brake and my camper weighs in around 2000 LBS,will my wagon get it stopped or should i add trailer brakes on my camper,i am going to be doing the wiring this winter anyways so now would be the time to add a brake booster if needed.thanks
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

trailer brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: trailer brakes   trailer brakes Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2022 10:25 pm

There's rarely a downside to having more braking ability, so if it's not a big deal to add brakes to the camper and a brake controller to your car, then you should do that.

That said, it also depends on the driving you're doing. 50 miles on familiar roads, low speeds, flat ground to the local campground - less of a need (if any) for additional brakes. Thousands of miles on unfamiliar roads at interstate+ speeds with many mountain passes to descend - much more need for additional brakes.

Your confidence/experience and peace of mind are another factor.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

trailer brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: trailer brakes   trailer brakes Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 12:50 pm

Don't know about New Brunswick but here in Ontario, any trailer that is 2K or better is required to have brakes. Reasonably inexpensive if you only have a single axle but don't cheap out on the controller. Have used the Techonsa(sp?) Prodigy up until I got the Avalanche (best built in controller ever) and never had an issue.

The 91 should make a great tow car.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

trailer brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: trailer brakes   trailer brakes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trailer brakes
Page 1 of 1