GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First day of longer trips in the Wagon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
1991BlueBertha

First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Empty
PostSubject: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 12:53 pm

So i've had the 91 OCC for a couple of months now... worked through its bugs and cooling system issues, etc. Got everything replaced and runs like a top. I have a 35 mile drive to work and I have driven it back and forth many times... but 70 miles in one day is about the most i've put on it... 35 miles has been the longest start to stop trip in it.

Yesterday, I decided to take her for our stuff. Made the trip from Mansfield to Downtown Dallas to drop the wife off for a symphony (yuck), then me and the boys went to a Jeep and Four Wheel drive truck show, then back down to Arlington to Summit Racing equipment and then back to Mansfield. put about 200 miles on her.... sometimes heavy traffic, etc.

So, my observations. A 305 V8 Wagon has little to no extra power LOL. Cant imagine anyone trying to tow with a 305 car.... it does what it needs to do, but as Im used to driving much more powerful daily drivers, its certainly a big difference.

Our kids today have it spoiled with AC vents galore. These poor AC cents have a long ways to blow to cool off the inside... I never had a SW growing up, we had vans and Suburbans, so they had rear air.

Even though its lowered, it still drives and rides nice... until you hit a big enough bump... I think some new shocks will help, but there's not much suspension travel on it now and we felt the bumps stops a few times.

Zero leaks and no oil consumption. Epoxied garage floor is just as clean under it as anywhere else. It had a coolant and power steering leak, but those I fixed. Just seems like a good car.

There's something to be said about having more tire and less wheel.... I'm running 15s and (besides the exhaust note I created) the thing is quiet on the highway at highway speeds. None of the tire singing and harsh bump noises that 20 or 22 inch wheels do nowadays.

And the thing gets more looks than one would think. Lots of conversations at the pump, etc. Glad I got it and thanks for ya'lls help here in answering questions that have come up along the way with it.

94Woody and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 9:53 pm

You can remove half of the front bump stops to allow it to have more suspension travel, but the stops will be a little more harsh when you do hit them. A 3.23 axle would make a lot of difference in the perceived power (you need the 40+ VSS and 42-43 tooth driven gear). You can also drop a TBI 350 in it with the only other change being the computer for the 350. It will get you another 50 Lb Ft of torque, and 20 HP. If you can find a 93 Caprice 9C1, the 350 in it has 210 HP (you need the computer again) vs the 350 from an RM will have 180. You need the Y pipe from the 9C1 as well (larger).
Back to top Go down
1991BlueBertha

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2022 10:44 pm

Feed, future long term goals (after I get my 68 on the road) will be to ls swap this thing but that’s a different day different goal lol

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 7:50 am

There was someone either here or the Impala forum that added rear a/c to their wagon.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t15485-rear-air-conditioning?highlight=rear+a+c
found it
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 12:23 pm

I've had 14 wagons and half of them were 305s.  I had both the 2.73 rear and 3.23 rear and honestly didn't notice a difference in acceleration but did in MPG on long haul interstate drives (multi-state)  with the 2.73 rear and keeping it under 70 (hard to do!)  I could get in the 26-27 mpg range.  with the 3.23 over the same drive (FL to NC) I bested at 23 mpg.

the 305 doesn't win any races but at highway speed with the 2.73s it gets up and passes with ease and I never had any issues with it  

One of my 91 OCCs (blue one in the cover photo up top) had a 305 and after I sold it the new owner just dropped a used 350 from a 92 Caddy into it and with the 3.23s it was a HUGE improvement .

As for the wheels,   I found 17s work really well.  still some sidewall for a comfy ride but corner way better than the 15s which roll alot.   Same blue car right before I sold it swapped the 15s back on from the Impala wheels and went around a cloverleaf I was familiar with and it plowed at a much lower speed with the 15s.  I ran a 235-55-17 on the rims and it worked really well.

currently running same tire on the black rims (17x8) in my avatar photo

1991BlueBertha likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm

The "getting more looks than expected" part gets old after a while. I'm not really a people person or outgoing, especially with strangers. Nothing worse than sitting at a light with the music playing while some stranger is hanging out the door and waving at me to tell me my car is "bad ass" and trying to start a conversation. Thankfully it's now AC season and mine works.

Swaggerwagon, rcktpwrd and Wojtek like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First day of longer trips in the Wagon    First day of longer trips in the Wagon  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First day of longer trips in the Wagon
Page 1 of 1