GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High side pressure?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

High side pressure? Empty
PostSubject: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 10:06 am

91 OCC previously converted to R134A. With onset of summer decided to add rerigerant and check pressures, Using cheap high side gauge that previously seemed accurate and low side gauge included with can of R134A. Low side reading 45 psi but high side only 200-215 psi. Ambient temperature in upper 80's with high humidity. It's blowing cold as ever. Should I add more refrigerant? Buy a better gauge? Or leave it the hell alone? Advise appreciated.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tom

Fred Kiehl and rcktpwrd like this post

Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 10:09 pm

Leave it alone - If anything, you're overcharged if it's running 45 psi (~50F) on the low side.

Target 30 psi (~35F) on the low side

The 134a can gauge could be off too - what is the temp of the air coming out of the vents?

A low high side pressure is actually a good thing

94Woody and Fred Kiehl like this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Leave it the hell alone.

Those do it yourself cans should be illegal, lol. I suppose some folks have luck with them but our shop has 50k in machines for a reason.

Things have a sticker on them with the Freon amounts for a reason. Stabbing a hole in a can and letting her rip isn't going to result in that amount.

Your low side pressure is pretty much maxed, I prefer to see 30 to 35. High side is sort of high. On over the road trucks the fan will kick on around 250 or so to bring the pressures way back down.

Edit, if I had a dollar for every f'd up system I've worked on that had the "I add a can every time it blows warm" style of repair I'd be retired.

silverfox103 and Serendipity96 like this post

Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks, gentlemen. I'll leave the system alone. I had [mistakenly] thought the high side pressure should be close to 250 psi on a hot day. This forum is very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm

as woody mentioned, i've heard many ac pros say the same thing about those do-it-yourself cans. they suck. the 'gauges' suck and best to spend the money and have things fixed right.

That said, i did use one of those cans on a friend's titan that wasn't blowing cold. Put a small can's worth with the sealant crap and they never had a problem again for the next 5 years they had the truck. Guess you get lucky sometimes, but i wouldn't recommend it anymore.

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High side pressure?   High side pressure? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High side pressure?
Page 1 of 1