GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shocks again

Go down 
+4
Serendipity96
ayilar
booster
jon7190
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jon7190

jon7190

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 25, 2023 3:42 pm

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I figured I'd put it forward again. Perhaps some have updated opinions.

Looking at KYB vs. Bilstein. I put Bilsteins on my 96 RMW with tow package about 8 years/40k miles ago shortly after buying it. I was happy with the ride. I recently had the Right Front shock give up the ghost, very noticeable that the damping is mostly gone on that side. So, I'm looking to replace the fronts.

I am hesitant to re-up with Bilsteins because 40k seems like a short life, especially for such an expensive product. Bilsteins are over twice as expensive as the KYBs (over $100 difference for the front pair). How much difference is there and is it worth the extra $?
Back to top Go down
booster

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 25, 2023 3:52 pm

Bilsteins usually have a lifetime guaranty so you probably should contact them and see what they say.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
ayilar

ayilar

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeTue Apr 25, 2023 10:52 pm

FWIW, I have KYB Gas-a-Just front shocks on both my 1996 FWB and my 1996 RMW. They are a bit softer than I'd like, but the upshot is a very comfortable ride without wallowing. Have posted more details about my experience in other threads.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2023 11:15 am

booster wrote:
Bilsteins usually have a lifetime guaranty so you probably should contact them and see what they say.

I had forgotten about that. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Serendipity96

Serendipity96

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2023 11:54 pm

i had put bilsteins on my 96 wagon in the rear and often had the back loaded with several hundred pounds of tools/gear for work - they had almost 80K on them before the car gave up the ghost and were still holding up well... i recently replaced fronts and rears on my 93 with monroe ss HD shocks and am not happy with the rears and wish i had spent the extra money on bilsteins - at least on the rear as on my 96 i later replaced the fronts with the monroe ss hd shocks and they seemed decent enough.
The difference I've noticed is regardless of having a load or empty in the back, the monroe ss shocks don't seem to handle speed bumps very well - feels like it bottoms out depending on the speed you go over them whereas the bilsteins would take them in stride regardless of how slow/fast i'd go over them - where i live has about 10 damn bumps of varying roundness - apparently they didn't use a leveler to make sure they all were shaped correctly so each bump has a different approach.
Also, regarding the ride with the bilsteins - i felt it was still a comfortable ride with maybe a little less float... i also drove that car rather aggressively at times and between the shocks and the michelins, it handled really well for what it was.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/followyourbliss101
Funkwagon455

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 am

I purchased KYB Gas adjust for my ‘92 Custom Cruiser many years ago. After the car got crashed, I transferred them to my current Roadmaster wagon. Still going strong. Not to discredit the Bilstien’s though.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Funkwagon455

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 12:06 am

I purchased KYB Gas adjust for my ‘92 Custom Cruiser many years ago.  After the car got crashed, I transferred them to my current Roadmaster wagon.  Still going strong.  Not to discredit the Bilstien’s though. Daily driven
Back to top Go down
theblurrrr

theblurrrr

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeFri Apr 28, 2023 1:54 am

I have used the KYB Gas-a-just shocks for 50 years and never had a problem or failure. Started to use them on a C3 Corvette I used for autocrossing.
Many years Later, I bought a 93 RMW and put on the KYBs, along with a front sway bar from an Caprice police cruiser(9C1). Much better handling; no wallowing in corners.
After that car was totaled by an inattentive driver, I bought another RMW(94) and outfitted the same way; KYB Gas-a-Justs and an Impala SS sway bar with high durometer bushings and links. It does not ride harshly at all. I wouldn't do it any other way.
The KYB Excel-G shocks are too soft for me. And all KYB branded shocks are lifetime warranteed.
I also have them on my 96 Fleetwood V4P.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 1:26 pm

I went to replace my shocks and discovered that the problem wasn't what I thought at all. The shock wasn't working because the control arm broke around one of the bolt holes for the shocks, while the crosspiece on the shock also broke. I don't know which broke first, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

[img]Shocks again 20230510[/img]
Back to top Go down
booster

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 3:05 pm

That is pretty rare, I think. The only time I have seen it was when they rusted through or if the shock was too long and bottom solid before the bump stop was hit.
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 3:13 pm

WOW!

a little surprised you didn't hear or feel the shock smacking into the control arm.

hard to tell from the pic, did the bolt pull through the arm on the left side? Is the arm still useable?
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 5:12 pm

rcktpwrd wrote:
WOW!

a little surprised you didn't hear or feel the shock smacking into the control arm.

hard to tell from the pic, did the bolt pull through the arm on the left side? Is the arm still useable?

Surprisingly I didn't notice any exceptional impact that could have done it or hear any rattling around afterwards. The steel around the hole broke away, so there is no hole on that side anymore. I will certainly have to replace the arm. It's hard to tell in the picture, but this is not a rusty car. Strictly an AZ and TX car, the underside is pristine rustwise and only 120k miles.
Back to top Go down
booster

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2023 5:44 pm

jon7190 wrote:
rcktpwrd wrote:
WOW!

Surprisingly I didn't notice any exceptional impact that could have done it or hear any rattling around afterwards. The steel around the hole broke away, so there is no hole on that side anymore. I will certainly have to replace the arm. It's hard to tell in the picture, but this is not a rusty car. Strictly an AZ and TX car, the underside is pristine rustwise and only 120k miles.

The initial damage, if it did bottom the shock hard could have come a long time ago and even with a different shock. A tiny crack can easily propagate over time, and there isn't a lot of material there in the first place. Is the lower arm bump stop still in place?

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
shrimpNE

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2023 11:29 am

theblurrrr
Can you relay the part numbers you bought
For the sway bar, shocks , bushings?

I want to do the same thing and I do not want waste time with stuff that does not work
Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shocks again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shocks again   Shocks again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shocks again
Page 1 of 1