GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI factory idle setting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Walterf

TBI factory idle setting Empty
PostSubject: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 8:09 am

What is the factory idle speed for a 305 TBI? Mine's running fine at 1250 RPM in neutral, 1100 in gear, but it seems a bit high for a V-8 engine.

Replaced IAC and cleaned pintel seat with little change. Some Youtubers speak about ECU reset or drilling out plug on TBI to lower idle but I'd rather not go there if these speeds are normal.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2023 8:44 am

600-650
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Steady idle and responds to temperature and AC so I don't suspect vacuum leak. Would you recommend punching out plug and lowering the idle screw?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2023 2:42 pm

Punching out the plug will not get the desired results.
Back to top Go down
Walterf

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 11:55 am

I don't have a smoke generator to check for vacuum leaks. Don't want to spray hoses with gasoline or ether to find leak due to fire danger. What fluid is recommended to check vacuum lines?

BTW,I did the 30 second jump across terminals A and B. It lowered idle to around 1250 RPM but that's still not low enough. THX
Back to top Go down
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 5:42 pm

Use carb or throttle body cleaner to find any vacuum leaks. If there is a leak the cleaner will be sucked in and cause a rpm change.

Swaggerwagon likes this post

Back to top Go down
booster

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 6:02 pm

I don't like to use any of the solvents, personally, as they can melt things like plastic and tapes.

I normally will use a can of starting ether to check easy to get at places. If I have to reach in to a place I would normally use an unlit propane torch barely turned on and in good ventilation.

I have found both to be very effective in finding leaks and also not causing any damage.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Brake cleaner will not harm anything under the hood.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TBI factory idle setting   TBI factory idle setting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI factory idle setting
Page 1 of 1