GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dnvrdisc

WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Empty
PostSubject: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 am

After fixing my "Brake Light" problem, I'm now looking at a cosmetic fix. Has anyone tackled the wood grained side trim mouldings on the Buick Roadmaster wagons? I have done the upper molding on the tailgate using a Pecan grained shelf liner and several coats of clear urethane. It looks good and matches the rest of the woodgrained vinyl, but I'm wondering if anyone else has found another solution for these trim pieces which all have a tendancy to "peel"? I know some folks have sanded the original coating off and painted the pieces, but wondered if there was an outlet for the vinyl that was originally on these pieces?
Thanks to all,
Bob, in Colorado
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 am

Cannot help with the stickers, but they look great polished!!

WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Frontquarterdone
Back to top Go down
dnvrdisc

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:25 am

Tim, EXCELLENT suggestion! They DO look great polished...and a whole lot easier than what I was trying! Are these mouldings aluminum? If so, it shouldn't bee to difficult to get a nice shine on them. I thought they seemed to be something other than steel, but wasn't sure. I'll take your suggestion seriously and give it a try! Thanks guy, and your wagon looks great...it's the same color as mine!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 am

Twins...
Back to top Go down
shenny

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 4:46 pm

I think that these moulding are actually stainless steel.

Shenny

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 pm

shenny wrote:
I think that these moulding are actually stainless steel.

Shenny

I thought that at first as well, but nope they are aluminum........
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Hardest part so far was fixing the peeling trim around my woodgrain. Whoever decided to wrap that trim in woodgrain sticker at GM should have his ass kicked.

I ended up having to replace some that was dented, and I sanded and painted the rest on the car. Spent three full nights after work sanding and a full afternoon taping it all off and painting it. Went with a satin color called Nutmeg, they sell it at Lowes, and it really looks nice in my opinion.

Pics here: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/pics-and-video-f11/my-96-roadmaster-gran-sport-wagon-enjoy-t1395.htm
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 pm

if you want the wood grain look... here is what mine looks like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3dLktxrtzI

and here is how you do it
http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11205
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 am

That looks cool! Read your link, neat tip!

Man your car sounds mean too. I put Flowmaster 40's on my 96 RMW too, but left the stock resonators on mine. It growls when you get on it, but is pretty quiet at speed. Man yours roars! Pretty sweet!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 pm

thanks,
yeah i found that its a backwards kinda way to ensure that my wife wont ever drive my buick!!
all she does is complain about how loud it is..(which....i dont get because its quiet at 65-75 mph). she wouldnt drive it anyway...she is intimidated by its size!

those actually arent flowmasters they are thunderbolts, (knockoffs) they had 1 cut open next to a flowmaster 40 series. at the GM nationals in carlisle,...they are identical and literally 1/2 the price!!!

TiKi, is actually louder than mikes (scoob8000) 1995 LAB (technically its jess's ) and he has res delete and SPINTECH's!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 10:03 am

Off topic: How do you like those USW smoothies? Have you had them awhile or what? I was looking at them but I'm skeptical as to how well they hold up, etc. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with snow or ice and what not, but I'm just paranoid.
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 7:14 pm

i dont drive it in the winter and i try not to in the rain..... but they are very easy to clean, and for the price...you cant beat them! i've had them for about 2 years

Last edited by a1awind on Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Well I have no winter, so that's not an issue. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM   WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WOOD-GRAIN SIDE TRIM
Page 1 of 1