GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel gauge accurate?

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
DBeaSSt
Cadet57
81X11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Fuel gauge accurate? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:24 am

Just thought I'd ask, my gas gauge does seem to work fine. It goes over to full just fine when I fill the car up and there is no sticking, but I've never put more than 18 gallons in the Roadmaster, and that was on E and dash light on.

Normally I fill it up just before it hits E, and it ends up only taking 15-16 gallons. According to my manual the car has a 22-gallon tank. That's a hell of a reserve when I get to E!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 am

Is your fuel gage calibrated? Its a common issue on b-bodies. You can buy a calibrator for like $20. I can't find the link atm thou.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 am

I thought the LT1 wagons had a 19 gallon tank versus 22 (or 21) for the TBI wagons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 am

I've never messed with the gauge. If someone has a link for calibration that'd be cool. As for the tank size, is there a typo in the owner's manual? If it's only got an 18-gallon tank than that would make sense......but it says wagon 22 and sedan 23 in my manual.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 am

Here is the "quick fix"

http://www.fuelgaugecalibrator.com/

It's not really a fix so much as a way to make the gauge look right. The only actual fix is to recondition or replace your sending unit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 am

My gripe with the gas gauge calibrator is it doesn't fix the core problem which is a garbage input signal. You can only calibrate garbage so far.
Here's the way to refurbish the sender. This will also help your fuel pump last longer. If you can wield a soldering iron, then you can do it. Or, send me a sending unit and I will refurbish it for you.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=235185

I have three+ years on this refurbished sender and still get great readings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My TBI Wagon   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:11 pm

On my 91 OCC the gauge is pretty accurate down to about one half and then it drops to empty very fast and stays
there.If I am running by the miles traveled at my average mpg say all city driving my gauge is about 25% low when
the needle falls below one half.I do know that when my low gas alarm buzzer goes off, I have roughly 2 gallons left
before I run out.
Thats filling my tank at the same pump and setting the fill speed at the middle notch and not adding any more gas
after autostop occurs.By the way topping off your tank after the pump stops filling on automatic screws with your
gastank fumes vent.Thats not the correct term but I mean the tank overflow system.
Not Much Help At All Today
Jim aka Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:20 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
My gripe with the gas gauge calibrator is it doesn't fix the core problem which is a garbage input signal. You can only calibrate garbage so far.
Here's the way to refurbish the sender. This will also help your fuel pump last longer. If you can wield a soldering iron, then you can do it. Or, send me a sending unit and I will refurbish it for you.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=235185

I have three+ years on this refurbished sender and still get great readings.

Here is my stupid question. I dont really feel like dropping my tank unless I absolutely 100% have to. So lets say I finally get around to spending the $20 on the "quick and easy" solution. But then later on my FP goes and I need to drop the tank. Will a refubished sender+ the "calibrator" screw up the reading once everything is bolted up?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Yes, the calibrator is nothing but a resistor "telling" the gauge on the dash that the level is lower than it is. ( It was designed for the "over full" condition
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Yes, the calibrator is nothing but a resistor "telling" the gauge on the dash that the level is lower than it is. ( It was designed for the "over full" condition

Thats what my issue is. When its "Full" the gauge actually displays 1/4 PAST the Full mark.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Here's the $2.69 fix.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062307

Use this part in parallel to the purple gauge sender wire in the harness under the rug by your left foot, along with the thread Sherlock9C1 mentioned to fix the REAL issue and you'll have it cured and can calibrate it dead on.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 pm

i like the low fuel light option,. it tells me i have just enough time to pull over off the road before the car quits,.1 of my old 9c1's light used to come on after you,d run out,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
I thought the LT1 wagons had a 19 gallon tank versus 22 (or 21) for the TBI wagons.
on our 94 RMW when the fuel light pops on it takes 20.5 gallons. Lucy loves to wait until this happens to fill it up. I think that's why the fuel pump got fried.

I've had tanks out of both cars and they are the same size. that said, my tbi cars fuel starve in corners and I can only get 17 gal in usually. when I ran out of gas on my way to WF (gauge went from half to out in less than 1 gallon and I was stuck in traffic) it took 18 gallons. GO figure.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
i like the low fuel light option,. it tells me i have just enough time to pull over off the road before the car quits,.1 of my old 9c1's light used to come on after you,d run out,.

Nick

Fuel gauge accurate? Lol Hey Nick, I literally had tears in my eyes from laughter at that comment!
( where's the LMAO smiley when you need one?)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks for all the comments and links. And yes, my gauge shows over-full when I fill it up, and stays on full a long time. Guess it's all the same issue. Such fun!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel gauge accurate?   Fuel gauge accurate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel gauge accurate?
Page 1 of 1