GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fuel Gauge issue...TBI

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 pm

If you have been keeping up with the Ruby build thread, you know we swapped in a 9C1 digital cluster. Well now the fuel gauge doesn't wanna work right.

Key off the gauge goes to about half. Turn the key on and it drops to Empty. Adding gas didn't seem to help (per my son).
I know the harness plug is by the rear DS bumper and as I'm typing this recall he hit my wife's car with same said bumper. Guess he's checking that first thing....

I was posting to see what kind of voltage I could put on the pin to see if it's a cluster issue or sending unit issue.

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 am

On the LT1 cars, unplug the fuel pump harness from the car, then ground the purple wire on the vehicle side of the harness. That should make the gauge go to empty with the key on. Leave the wire alone and it should go to full. Maybe the TBI cars work the same way? Never toyed with them.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 am

The gauge reads resistance. The low end is 0 ohms, and the high end is 95 ohms. You can put a variable resistor (or potentiometer center lead to one end) in series to ground with the lead to the gauge, and vary the position of the pointer by changing the resistance.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm

thanks guys, gives me a starting point.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 8:55 am

Here's what you need to dial in the tank gauge from radio shack. The purple wire runs next to your left foot under the carpet.
Ground one end of the resistor to the chassis. It doesn't matter which end. The middle connection gets tied into the purple wire.
When dialing it in, it is very sensitive to change, and thus easy to dial right past. Make small changes and WAIT SEVERAL SECONDS

Why wait? The circuit is designed to be slow to respond and ignore fast changes like when gas sloshes when going around corners or hitting bumps.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062308

Fuel Gauge issue...TBI PRS1C-2160217w345
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 am

I may give that pot a try. When I fill up the gauge reads 125% full and it's about empty at an indicated 1/4 tank.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 9:49 am

You can dial it down. Keep in mind it is by far more important that it reads EMPTY accurately than FULL.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Well I took jr's car to the liquor store as my wife parked behind me.
Funny thing about fuel gauges. They tend to move when you put gas in the tank.

He had been telling me it would drop to E when he turned the key on and go back to half when you turned it off. OK, I got in started the car and it stayed on half. Started driving and had to stop short on a yellow (Johnny Law at the intersection) and noticed the fuel gauge dive to quarter then roll back up as I sat there. Johnny left and on the green I punched it. As expected as the fuel slosh back, the gauge pushed up. Mystery solved!

Hooray one less project this weekend. Anyway, I have an extra sending unit in the garage and was gonna plug it in and play with it while he watched the gauge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Gauge issue...TBI   Fuel Gauge issue...TBI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Gauge issue...TBI
Page 1 of 1