GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where did my brake fluid go?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Where did my brake fluid go? Empty
PostSubject: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 pm

On my home from work tonight I thought, "Hmm the brakes feel a little spongy" but then as my aunt is in town, I ran home threw the whole family in the car and drove to my Moms for dinner (16 miles away). I'm driving the 91 OCC I brought to WF (7K miles on it since July !!!)

Car ran and seemed to stop just fine. Got in it to leave my Mom's and the first time I hit the brakes, the brake light came on and the bell chimed. I took it slow just in case and when I got home I popped the hood and looked. Front reservoir completely empty and the rear one 85% empty!!!!! A quick look underneath with a flashlight shows no obvious leaks.

WTF!!? I put a brand new Master Cylinder on right before Wagon Fest.

Daylight will probably show the leak ( I hope) but how could both sides drain down so far without leaving a spot on my driveway???? (unless it happened quick).
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Gremlins, Floridian Gremlins
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:29 pm

buickestate wrote:
Gremlins, Floridian Gremlins

Where did my brake fluid go? 78gremlinPS
I saw one lurking about in the grass bounce
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 pm

That happened to the black car one time. I couldn't figure out where the fluid was going till I made a panic stop one day and the line under the drivers side let go. It had been leaking just enough that it was soking the frame rail and not hitting the ground.

Jon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Eww...that's a late 70's 4-cyl Gremlin. No redeeming qualities at all. Even the color is hideous.

Ha!

Good luck on the brake issue. Hope you find it fast and that it's an easy pic!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 am

81X11 wrote:
Eww...that's a late 70's 4-cyl Gremlin. No redeeming qualities at all. Even the color is hideous.

Ha!

Good luck on the brake issue. Hope you find it fast and that it's an easy pic!

sorry, no easy pic but the fix was relatively painless.
In the daylight I could see the pass side of the rear axle was wet so I filled the reservoir and had my wife pump up the brakes and like Jon, it's a slow leak where the ebrake cable wore through the hydraulic line.

PO had already replaced this line and left it rubbing on the cable. Off to the parts store to buy a 40 inch straight piece and about an hour later with my tubing bender I had my new line that DOESN'T rub the ebrake cable.

bled the brakes and then went out and tested the ABS cyclops
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where did my brake fluid go?   Where did my brake fluid go? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where did my brake fluid go?
Page 1 of 1