GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric fan conversion question

Go down 
+3
silverfox103
DBeaSSt
WGesnerJr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
WGesnerJr

Electric fan conversion question Empty
PostSubject: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 am

I currently have the Heavy Duty Cooling (engine driven fan) and one secondary electric fan. I have noticed that there are tabs on the radiator to mount an electric Primary fan next to the secondary one.

My question is, What else does it take to convert to elecetric fans? I assume there is some top piece and wiring. I also assume there is something under the fuse box for the relay and use to plug into. (mine has no connections in the slots where they go) Is the wiring in the harness with the other fan or does it run up to the fuse box by its own harness.

As you can tell, I have not laid eyes on one of the Dual Electric fan cars enough to scope this out. I want to convert it over but want to make it look as stock as possible. (no big 10 gage red wire with inline clear and Gold, mega wat stereo fuses. etc)

I have been haunting the local pull-a-part in hopes of scoring a set up but it seems the are the first thing to go; so I guess i will be trying to build one from several different sources.

Any help / descriptions / pictures would be most appreciated.

Its a 94 Caprice SW with LT1

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by WGesnerJr on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WGesnerJr

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:22 am

Also...is the wire from the PCM to the fuse block there and not used or do I have to run it? Does the PCM have to be reprogrammed?

Thanks,
Jay
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:45 am

I believe, but am not certain that your PCM will require programming so the computer can tell the 'new' fan to turn on. I know a couple on here have done it and I'm sure will chime in.

As for the wiring harness, you can splice in an OEM harness if you can find one. Or, you can order a harness from Gary at Innovative Wiring. He makes one specifically for this purpose and his cables are not only VERY well made but quite stock looking as well.

The other parts you'll need are, the second fan with it's bracket obviously. The mounting screws from the donor car and the upper radiator shroud. That's the black plastic piece which sits on top of the radiator. You'll need the relay too, I think. The wiring harness may come with it though.

If no one has posted pics for you, I'll snap a couple of my Caprice which has dual electrics. May take a couple days as we're getting some of that nasty white stuff today and tomorrow. Mad

Here's a thread from the Technical Info section which should help....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
WGesnerJr

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks Mike

I found this same thread right after I posted mine. Thank you for not shouting at me about the search button like some other websites.

I will look up Gary for the wiring glad to hear that there is a new product for that. Pictures would be great but wait until it warms up. Its not that important that you have to freeze your A$$ off.

Anyone that has a picture of the underside of the Fuse Block, this would be helpful too.

Krzdimond, Great write up. it has inspired me to attempt this sooner than I thought. Now I have to find the parts!!!!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi Jay

I did the job 6 months ago, it is really easy, just take your time and go step by step. Bob Ignash wrote this how to, it is very helpful. In fact it is all I used. Check it out. Any questions just chime in.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 9:39 pm

WGesnerJr wrote:
Krzdimond, Great write up. it has inspired me to attempt this sooner than I thought. Now I have to find the parts!!!!

Thanks, but I didn't write it, I just cut and posted Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
WGesnerJr

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 am

Ya know, this is why I enjoy working on my wagon soooo much. Just the ideas and help this community has is beyond anything else I have ever seen.

If you have an issue; more than likley someone else has already had it, fixed it, and is willing to help you not go through what they did.

This is how I imagined a car club to be like, but have never found it.

WE ROCK!!!!

Thanks guys,

Jay
Back to top Go down
92 Woody Wagon

92 Woody Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm just curious but why do you guys do this?

Is the cooling on an LT1 or a 5.0 not sufficient enough?

Does it save gas or something?

Wouldn't it be better to have mechanical and electric fans the way GM intended?

My '92 wagon runs plenty cool I guess as far as the gauge reads. I've never had a boilover and keep the cooling system in check.

Just askin!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ClarkGriswold
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm

GM intended to have 2 electric fans (hence the stock/base configuration), but added the mechanical fan for the towing package. The mechanical fan eats about 15HP and makes LOTS of noise.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
GM intended to have 2 electric fans (hence the stock/base configuration), but added the mechanical fan for the towing package. The mechanical fan eats about 15HP and makes LOTS of noise.

But the real reason is that it's hard to install some of the LT1 cold air intakes with that mechanical fan hump in the way. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
But the real reason is that it's hard to install some of the LT1 cold air intakes with that mechanical fan hump in the way. Wink

I would NEVER do anything like that, would I Mike?
Back to top Go down
WGesnerJr

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Great question Clark. If I planned on towing, it would not be going but:

The noise is one thing I could take that but, its the power loss that gets me. When it's cold in Atlanta, you can't even tell its there. The car runs great with pleanty of power. But when it's hot (like from may thru oct) you can feel the drag on the motor. The worst is July and Aug when it really saps the power. The cooling has been great the gauge sits at 1/2 at all times, just the power difference. My T/A has a 160 stat in it and both ele fans keep it at 180 during the hottest driving.

Of course the air intake thing is another whole issue that I would like to upgrade to. I like the snorkle that dips down in front of the motor and has a scoop in the front spoiler.

the last but most annoying is that I can't do anything to the front of the engine with it there. It has to be removed and its starting to become an issue.

Besides, I sold the hitch when I bought the car and I don't plan on towing. My father-in-law lives with me and my wife and he came with a 2005 F-250 Diesel Crew Cab. Eventhough I hate it because it is very unconfortable,(and a ford) it does pull ANYTHING without so much as a glance over it's rear 1/4 panel. Why kill my wagon when I have access to that??

So as far as I'm concerned:
Do not acknowledge the F-250 until I have to tow something,
enjoy comfort and speed and surprising a ricer with the wagon,
then act REALLY STUPID in the T/A. (like doing donuts in my daughters elementary school parking lot this past Sunday; she thought it was great!)

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kiltedscotsman

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 1:18 am

Hey....stupid Q, but obviously we need an upper and lower bracket like this:

right?
Back to top Go down
http://www.buickforums.com
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 6:59 am

Wrong! It's already there.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 am

^^ Right! But make sure its not rusted away...the one I had on my '96 literally turned to dust when I touched it. Luckily I had an extra rad from a GA car.

I converted over so I could easily work on the wagon. I honestly hate having the front engine area covered with that huge shroud / extra bracket / fan. Just looks cleaner and makes it easier to take care of the engine IMO.

If you have the money, just go with Gary's kit. His instructions are BIG, in color and very easy to read. It includes everything you need for all the wiring. You also do not have to have the PCM programmed for the additional fan. I did this on my old '95 and it worked fine without the PCM tune.

*edit*

Hey WGesnerJr! Just realized you are not to far from me Smile If you decide to do the swap...I would be happy to help you. Shoot me a PM sometime. I go down to ATL to hit the Pull a Parts every once in a while. (The East location is only 1.5 hours from me) You are welcome to come up here too! We could get it done in an hour or less if we have everything.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric fan conversion question   Electric fan conversion question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric fan conversion question
Page 1 of 1