GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finally reached the aggravation point

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vamp8267

Finally reached the aggravation point Empty
PostSubject: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 am

Ok, so I've been tinkering with little things here and there and have finally figured out that I need a 92 steering column to put back in my wagon.
1) the passkey isn't functional the guy was full of $**t but I can't find anyone that will cut me a key without the chip in it.
(turning a .99 cent key into a 30 dollar one.)
2) my twilight module was on the steering column that is no longer in my car. So I've been beating my head against the wall on that one.
3) not sure about the cruise control but I figure it has something to do with the wiring differences. But have heard there was a tech. service bulletin about the cruise needing something done to it for it to work.(something about a bad ground if I remember right)
4) thought my reverse lights had something to do with the column but the half moon thing on the column was out of wack.
So bottom line my question is what years can I use and what vehicles? I want an EXACT match for my car. It's the '92 buick estate wagon.
Also, my dealer sticker says I have heated side view mirrors. Should there be a switch somewhere or were they completely automatic? Basically, how can I tell if I actually have them? And yes, I compared the VIN on the sticker to the VIN on my car.
Oh yah, and this is the weird part. When I pull the hazard light switch my turn signals and brake lights are no longer functional (quite handy if I was running from the cops, but seriously, is that because of the wiring differences here?) The column has been ID'd here as a 94-96 buick.

Thanks again guys.

Twisted Evil vamp
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 am

I had my keys cut at a GM dealer, I believe the key is a "62B" or could be "B62". That key is just for that purpose.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am

A 92 year column from either a Cruiser, Roadmaster or Caprice will work for you. To make things (a little) easier, try to find a car which has the twilight sentinel so you can just yank a complete column. If I recall, T/S was standard on the Buicks (unless it was a special order, funeral car, etc) optional on the Olds and not available on the Chevy. Someone correct me though if I got that wrong!

I THINK that a column from a 91 or 93 will work too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Obviously if you can find the same color that would make things easier too. Wink There are enough differences between the 91-3 and 94-6 that, personally, I wouldn't bother with all those weird electrical problems until you get the right column in there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
jcg5885

jcg5885

PostSubject: Re: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
A 92 year column from either a Cruiser, Roadmaster or Caprice will work for you. To make things (a little) easier, try to find a car which has the twilight sentinel so you can just yank a complete column. If I recall, T/S was standard on the Buicks (unless it was a special order, funeral car, etc) optional on the Olds and not available on the Chevy. Someone correct me though if I got that wrong!

I THINK that a column from a 91 or 93 will work too but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Obviously if you can find the same color that would make things easier too. Wink There are enough differences between the 91-3 and 94-6 that, personally, I wouldn't bother with all those weird electrical problems until you get the right column in there.

My '91 caprice sedan had the twilight sentinel.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 pm

The heated mirrors come on with the rear defroster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally reached the aggravation point   Finally reached the aggravation point Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally reached the aggravation point
Page 1 of 1