GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!

Go down 
+9
brokecello
94X2
81X11
95BRMW
buickestate
Sprocket
Lynol
ChevyChugg
BigBlackBeaSSt
13 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm

I had a guy tailgating the heck out of me coming home tonight. 45 zone and I was doing 50 and you could only get a smart car between us. Shocked So when it went to two lanes I stayed left and he cam around me of course. I let him get to my back bumped and I opened her up. Almost got by me until she shifted into OD, then I began to walk him, foot still hard on the floor. Smile We both let off so as not to die (traffic ahead). Exclamation I then backed off and let him go.

I expected the supercharged 3.8 to eat me up. Needless to say I was please, him not so much! Laughing LOL some people take like way to seriously.........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Hah. Fun stuff. Smile
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:10 pm

Nice! My old 97 GTP was a quick car!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:15 pm

ChevyChugg wrote:
Nice! My old 97 GTP was a quick car!

Yah off the line from a dead start I am sure he would have door'd me. But at 50 mph he could not get by me.

HMMMMM cam and heads and say hello mr station wagon!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Cool! That's the way ya do it! Was it an '04'-'05 GTP? Those SC Series III 3800s are matched with our LT1s for HP, but the torque isn't even close. Just stay away from those GXP's with the 5.3, that thing packs a wallop!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

3.8 car............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

But officer I was doing this so I would have something neat to talk about with my wagon buddies tonite!!!
Please sign here Dummy
Glad you got away with it
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 pm

LOL................. Here we go with the to serious stuff again................

Officer this old wagon will not go that fast officer...............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm

If the officer is a rooky maybe you will get away with it.If the officer has any seat time with a 9c-1 with an LT-1,
then you are scaarewed because he wont fall for that old wagon crap.
Still Glad You got away with it
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
3.8 car............
I'm sure you could beat any of those 3.8s stock, even off the line. My friend has a SC Riviera, I'll have to challenge him, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey even my L03 was surprisingly spritely at highway speed with a pair of WB4s on the way back from WF. I was surprised how well I could keep up with Robert at 70+ as I was in the fat part of the torque curve. Standing start I he'd been in the next time zone....but from about 70-90 the L03s hold there own and the LT1s rock out Smile

Just ask Acme racer about his wife's GSX '92 RMW and the guy in the brand new Vette at Woodward last year. Great story.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 pm

99.9% of the time the woody wagon would have been ignored by the officer, and he would have gone after the grand prix.

wasn't there a thread on the old forum about the invisibility cloaking effect of the wood grain?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:24 pm

buickestate wrote:
99.9% of the time the woody wagon would have been ignored by the officer, and he would have gone after the grand prix.

wasn't there a thread on the old forum about the invisibility cloaking effect of the wood grain?

Been there. I was going the same speed along side a Maxima in m RMW, then a cop pulls out with the sirens on, guess which car got pulled over? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes are cars have stealth technology. The wood absorbs the radar from the gun!!! Its true.....really!!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 pm

So you're saying I need to challenge my wife to a race??

Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! MasseyCars011
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Only if you record it and it is supercharged..............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 pm

Tim not trying to be serious just real.If the cop has been on the job for more than 15 years theres a good chance
that they are familiar with the quick 9C-1 sedans and maybe even the rare wagons.If they have had the pleasure of driving an LT-1,then no excuse will work!
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:06 pm

That's always fun. Especially the looks you get. Even if you don't walk them, people still can't believe a wagon did that. Every time that happens to me the line from Charlie Daniels "Uneasy Rider" goes thru my head: Mario Andretti sure would have been proud of the way I was moving when I passed that crowd. Laughing

Jon
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 pm

While fun to do that in my 1A2, a woody wagon always gives more of that "wtf" factor.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Nice! My Dad has a '97 Bonneville SSEi and always ragged my wagons (this was before he got ahold of his own LT1 RMW) BUT would never put his car up to prove anything. Finally we were able to and the old LDM WB4 took it. It was close though. Off the line he was fast...but I caught up and started walking. He says his supercharger oil was dirty. Lol Wink

Out of the two cars they own now ('95 RMW and the Bonneville) he still loves his wagon the best though.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm

I've had a 95 and 96 Bonneville, plus fixed up that other white 96 for my buddy. I love those cars a lot. Only real glitch is the crappy plastic intakes. My Bonny's were all non-supercharged series II 3800's.

I had a 95 Park Ave Ultra as well, with the Series I Supercharged engine, and I can tell you the Bonnys were faster. I never did get a Series II 3800 Bonny, but would love to have one someday.....like this one.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/2197057093.html
or
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2192136368.html
Back to top Go down
BOBBYWAYNE

BOBBYWAYNE

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:09 pm

I have a 95 SSE Bonny also. It is a beautiful car that is cursing me with a rain water leaking in somewhere around the drivers seat. I cant find the leak. This leak has got me stumped. But thats ok I just use that as an excuse to leave it in the garage and drive my 96 RMW that will get me where I am going way faster than the Bonny anyway ;-)
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:04 am

BOBBYWAYNE wrote:
I have a 95 SSE Bonny also. It is a beautiful car that is cursing me with a rain water leaking in somewhere around the drivers seat. I cant find the leak. This leak has got me stumped. But thats ok I just use that as an excuse to leave it in the garage and drive my 96 RMW that will get me where I am going way faster than the Bonny anyway ;-)

Does your Bonny have a sunroof? The drains get clogged and leak. Common issue.

There are four drain tubes in the Pontiac Bonneville sunroof. Two lead forward and drain down the A Pillar entering the car's front cowl sheet metal and exit in the gap between the cowl and fender inner. The drain ends are invisible without removing the fender.

Two others lead rearward and drain down the C Pillar and lead off into the trunk and exit into the trailing edge of the fender well. The drain ends again are invisible under the car.

The drain tubes push fit onto the large plastic tray that catches the rainwater coming through the sunroof opening. Pontiac's engineering intent was not to attempt to seal the sunroof against the roof sheet metal. Instead, they allowed for a gap, and then caught the moisture in a plastic catch pan under the window (and above the headliner) with four drain outlets - one on each corner of the pan.

The first leakage problem is that the drain tubes sometimes separate from the plastic tray outlet. You have to drop the headliner to verify this.

The second leakage problem is that the drain tubes are made in several sections press fitting together. These sections can separate (and can, if you attempt to clear the tubes using compressed air, use water!). The sites where the sections come together are in extremely awkward locations, and require cutting of insulation etc. to find.

The third leakage problem is the tubes tend to clog up with debris. When that occurs the catch basin in the roof simply overflows, and gravity takes it to the floor via the roof pillars and then following the hard trim.

The sunroof isn't the only source of leaks in a Bonneville. The doors themselves are sources of leaks. The door design uses a sheet of polyethylene adhered to the door inner sheet metal to keep moisture out. Over time, the mastic used to adhere the sheet simply releases, and water flows into the car through the doors. The solution is to remove the door inners, and re-adhere the polyethylene sheet with new mastic or a high quality sealant.

Then there is the air conditioner drain tube. It also plugs up. When it does, all the air conditioning condensate has to go somewhere, so it flows right onto your carpet. Fortunately, the AC drain hose can be seen under the car, and a coat hanger will unclog it.

Back to top Go down
BOBBYWAYNE

BOBBYWAYNE

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks! I havent checked all of them. I had only found one drain tube so far. I will check ASAP and maybe the Roadmonster can have a break on the rainy days. The traction control is one thing better on the Bonny. That LT1 on a wet curve can be interesting sometimes. But the wife always said i was an Adrenaline Junky so maybe thats why I love it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 1:19 am

I am looking forward to getting my project '98 GTP coupe on the road and 1/4 mile track this summer. Stock 240 h.p. GTPs are running 14.9-15.1 in the 1/4. Their computer lets them reach 125m.p.h. on top before stopping the fun. With aftermarket bolt-ons the GTPs should easilly and reliably run 14.2-14.4s. Can't justify making my Roadie any quicker or faster if I intend to keep the Pontiac. Although a low 14 second grocery-getter with an unrestricted top end would be a hoot!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 7:20 am

Steve, Your alive........ Wondered..........
Back to top Go down
Steve Smith

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 10:19 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Steve, Your alive........ Wondered..........

Barely "alive".......... Neutral my lower back is still hurting from all the manual removal of this damn white sh!t. Poor wagon looks like crap and it just dosen't make sense to give her a bath 'till all this lousy stuff is gone (at least for a week). Is it almost Spring yet ????
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Good story, don't see them over here, the Bonnies. Most of the time it's Mercs and Beamers and you don't want to race them....
Pete
Back to top Go down
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 pm

this reminds me of one day over the summer. i usually dont drive TiKi to work, but it was suppose to be in the mid 90's that day and my truck doesn't have a/c. so when i walked out of the house ....i said "screw it....im taking the wagon". my wife was on and earlier schedule then, so we left the house about the same time and our workplaces are near each other..(she left a few min earlier to take our daughter to her moms). so as i get on the turnpike i called her and asked her where she was. ..about 2 miles ahead of me.
(it must be noted at this point that most mornings she flies past me and waves as my truck has a top speed of around 65-70 mph) so i romp on the gas and let the TiKi Wagon loose.
i passed my wife at 110mph (and being as i have regular tires on it i was a little nervous )
prompting a call from her "my god Ian...how fast are you going!" thats the 2nd fastest ive gone on a public roadway. and was lucky to not get caught that time either!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 am

My wife would have raced me....and most likely won....she's psyco.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:01 am

Speaking of a/c, Bonnevilles and Grand Prixs, the a/c vents on the 92-99 Bonnys were mounted low on the dash and behind the steering wheel air bag. Not good for Texas heat, since we use the a/c year-round. It was one of the very few items I didn't like about my 95 and 96 Bonnies. Not only were the vents low, and they had to get air past the turn signal, tilt rod and air bag, but even on max high they didn't blow terribly hard.

The 2001 Grand Prix has MUCH better a/c. The vents are higher and blow harder. I just wish the GP had the elbow room and softer seats of the Bonnies.

Pointless post over.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 am

Dutch Pete wrote:
Good story, don't see them over here, the Bonnies. Most of the time it's Mercs and Beamers and you don't want to race them....
Pete

You cannot not loose. If you win you beat a Mercs. If they win they beat an old wagon!!! No loss............

Wink
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
Dutch Pete wrote:
Pete

You cannot not loose. If you win you beat a Mercs. If they win they beat an old wagon!!! No loss............

Wink
absolutely right. I once beat a beamer (325 CI) but that was with my old 77 impala sedan on the motorway. That Imp was fast, could do 120 mph (stock)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!   Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grand Prix GTP earns respect for the old girl!!!!
Page 1 of 1