GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric Trailer Brake Controller

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffracer

jeffracer

Electric Trailer Brake Controller Empty
PostSubject: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

I recently installed a class IV hitch on my RMW so I can pull my 27' travel trailer. I ordered a brake controller from Amazon along with an Airlift 1000 kit.

Anyone here ever install a brake controller on a B body (or on anything for that matter)? Is it something I can DIY or should I have someone install it?

I'm good with the install of the air lift bags.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Never did a new install, but rewired the one on my 9C1 because the PO did a half-ass job with the wiring. Mine is a reese and has only a few wires. Power, ground, one wire that splices into the brake light circuit by the pedal, and one that runs out to the hitch.
Back to top Go down
jeffracer

jeffracer

PostSubject: Re: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:13 pm

95BRMW wrote:
Never did a new install, but rewired the one on my 9C1 because the PO did a half-ass job with the wiring. Mine is a reese and has only a few wires. Power, ground, one wire that splices into the brake light circuit by the pedal, and one that runs out to the hitch.

Sounds reasonably easy, was the power tapped from under the dash or straight from the battery? I ordered a Draw-Tite 5500.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:11 pm

You should be able to do it, just take your time. I have done it, but it's been about 30 years. If I remember correctly you have to tie the controller to the brake hydraulic system and it has to be wired. Maybe it is different now.

Tom
Back to top Go down
rkmdogs

rkmdogs

PostSubject: Re: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:12 am

jeffracer wrote:
I recently installed a class IV hitch on my RMW so I can pull my 27' travel trailer. I ordered a brake controller from Amazon along with an Airlift 1000 kit.

Anyone here ever install a brake controller on a B body (or on anything for that matter)? Is it something I can DIY or should I have someone install it?

I'm good with the install of the air lift bags.

Most of the connectors come with a wiring diagram in the kit. First you need to make some choices.
There are two types of 7-pin connectors. One has flat blades, the other round pins. You need to see
what matches to your trailer.
Then you need to select a mounting point close to the centerline of the car for the receiver. This is
so you can make right & left turns without pulling the wires out!
You will have 4 wires that need to go into the lights wiring at the rear. This is behind the side panels
at the rear (on "B' bodies at least) The main point is on the left side. Check your wiring diagrams.
On the left you will find tail light, & brake light. You usually have to run a jumper under the tailgate panel to the right side for those connections.
Two wires, of a heavier gauge wire need to go to the front. One will hook to the brake controller you
chose, and the other will need to go to an unswitched power source.
The seventh wire is a ground connection, which is most important, and can be located anywhere
at the rear, but don't just wrap it around a screw, use a connector!

The biggest issues are making sure that you have connected the wires to the correct light and
the adjustment for the brake controller, which you need to do with the triler hooked up so
that you can adjust for its weight.

If this seems too much, most RV dealers will assist you with this install.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Trailer Brake Controller   Electric Trailer Brake Controller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Trailer Brake Controller
Page 1 of 1