GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Electric Brake Controller

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Skier

Electric Brake Controller Empty
PostSubject: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Gents and Ladies,

I am going to hook up wiring for an electric brake controller.  The only thing I don't know is which wire to tap into near the brake pedal.  Does any one know and is able to explain to me in non technical English?

Thanks,

Chris
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 7:16 am

Do you need a ground or power?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 8:01 am

tap into what,.? to accomplish,. what?

sorry but your question is very vague,.

have you actually bought a controller yet?
If so does it have any instructions,.?
Back to top Go down
Bert Slater

Bert Slater

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:42 pm

the switch from the brake light triggers the controller automatically. The power line for the brakes to the trailer, in and out of the controller are separate and the supply is fused. The brake controller also activates all the brake lights when the trailer brake is activated at the controller manually. Check your instructions carefully, a lot of these controllers have the white wire negative, and black positive supply.
Back to top Go down
Dr.Oldsmobile

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Knowing the year of your car might help a bit, I don't know if they were all the same or not. Generally, the two wires closest to the pedal are your brake lights. With the key off, unplug the bottom connector. One is hot, one is not, and if you jumper the pins, the brake lights come on. The one that wasn't hot is probably the one you are looking for (consult your controller instructions to be sure).
Back to top Go down
Skier

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 9:11 pm

I figured this out a little over a week ago then went on vacation. It is the white wire nearest the brake pedal not the tan one on 1995 BRMWs. Now to find a way to mount the controller without marring any of the dash. I will most likely get the steel panel off another RM and drill holes in it for the controller bracket, etc.

Any suggestions for finding a "hole" through the firewall for the + lead (wire). Right now I have wormed it under the weather stripping and pushed it through the soft part then under the fuze panel cover. Approximately 1" shows

Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Brake Controller   Electric Brake Controller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Brake Controller
Page 1 of 1