GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

saving ABS after gear swap?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

saving ABS after gear swap? Empty
PostSubject: saving ABS after gear swap?   saving ABS after gear swap? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd like to continue to keep the ABS system active on my 1993 Caprice wagon. It's a non-posi 3.09 (11/34) rear end. I'd like to swap the pumpkin out to a posi unit. Eaton 19559-010. While I'm there I want to swap the gears out to help launch "Shammoo" better off the line.

1) I already have a set of 3.42's for an 8.5 rear end, (12/41) from before the time that ABS systems existed. It was purchased at a car show flea market several years ago. I know pinions must have ABS reluctors, relative to the gear ratio to keep it in synch. Can an existing pinion be modified (easily) to accept a reluctor? Or is a major pain the the butt?

2) Is it possible to just interchange the "new" ring gear.(11/41=3.73) with the proper reluctor. and have it become 3.73'? Or are the faces and angles of gears all different and therefore not interchangeable?

I was thinking, reuse the current pinion, (93k miles) and just change the reluctor on it and swap to the "new" ring (44) What I don't know is if it's the ratios all have different faces or if it's a matter of simple substitution.

Help my learning curve here guys!
Back to top Go down
Stemmler

Stemmler

PostSubject: Re: saving ABS after gear swap?   saving ABS after gear swap? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't know about interchanging parts but Bob Shirley from the Impala forum makes reluctors for regular gears not machined for a reluctor.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: saving ABS after gear swap?   saving ABS after gear swap? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Consider the eaton truetrac vs the 19559. I've had both and I MUCH prefer the truetrac.

I would just get Bob Shirley to make you a reluctor for the gears you already have. It will be cheaper overall. Personally, I like the 3.42s in the wagon. I run 27" tall tires in the summer and 28" tall in the winter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: saving ABS after gear swap?   saving ABS after gear swap? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

saving ABS after gear swap?
Page 1 of 1