GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4-note "Tugboat" horn install

Go down 
+8
Cadet57
jayoldschool
200OZ
phantom 309
rh96ss
Nick Danger
toomanytoyz
81X11
12 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

4-note "Tugboat" horn install Empty
PostSubject: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 1:40 am

This was my afternoon project. Been meaning to do this a while but had not had much free time lately. I'd nabbed a pair of horns from the passenger side of a 95 Roady sedan at the salvage yard and was itching to install them.

4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn060

I had a little extra work to do before I could install the horns. Sometime in my car's past a battery blew in it, and it got acid on the paint there beside the battery and also all in the battery tray,and even under it. It ate the paint and there was rust there, so I needed to clean that up.

Here's what I found after pulling the battery and tray out. YUCKO!
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn059

The horns will mount in that hole there. To get to one of the mount holes you have to move the coolant tank up and over. You also have to remove the ground wire for the battery from the fender. After doing that I used Ajax and a scrub brush to clean all the dirt and rust stains off, and then used 400-grit wet sandpaper on the inner fender and lower fenderwell, and then taped off the black part to paint the white, and vice-versa.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn061

Time to channel my inner Crovo
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn063

4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn062
Looks better!
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn064

Horns installed and coolant tank re-mounted
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn065
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn066

Ground wire re-attached
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn067

Next I ran the single wire through the stock wiring harness that runs along the upper part of the radiator support in front and above of the condensor to the driver's side horns. I removed the air filter box to get at the horn wiring easier. Man the computer under there is a dirty mess!

Anyway this is simple, just splice the wire from the new horns added on the passenger side to the green wire coming off the horns on the drivers side.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn069
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn070
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn071

Then just put the battery back in. Looks stock!
4-note "Tugboat" horn install TugboatHorn074

Now the fun part. Hit the horn and HONK HONK!! Now THATS the way a big car should sound! Hahahahaha!

cheers

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon May 23, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:02 am

Dude, really? You think that's what rust looks like??? Ha! I laugh at your silly little rust stains! Smile

Looks good though. Smile Nice work!

Oh, and if you are trying to take close up shots, like the blurry ones of the wiring, use the "macro" feature on your camera. It tells the camera to focus on stuff closest to the lense.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:06 am

Hmm. I didn't know that this is where the second set of horns go. Is there space for the horns and for
Gary's headlight relay kit?

I do want a second set of horns.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:08 am

Yeah, that's where the Fleetwoods and Roadie Sedans (I think) had them.
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:14 am

Nick Danger wrote:
Hmm. I didn't know that this is where the second set of horns go. Is there space for the horns and for
Gary's headlight relay kit?

I do want a second set of horns.

That is my question as well. Both my cars have his headlight kit.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 10:45 am

should've pulled that one bolt and dipped it in black too,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 11:13 am

phantom 309 wrote:
should've pulled that one bolt and dipped it in black too,..

Nick
The bolt heads all got painted before everything went back in Nick. I'm way too anal to not do that. Used a paint brush and some Rust-Oleum engine paint on them.

But thanks for noticing.

And to answer the other question, yes this is the same location and mounting holes used on the Roady sedan. If you pull a set of horns at the salvage yard, you'll know how they go back in. Hardest part of the entire job is running the wire through the loom. Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 11:18 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Dude, really? You think that's what rust looks like??? Ha! I laugh at your silly little rust stains! Smile

Looks good though. Smile Nice work!

Oh, and if you are trying to take close up shots, like the blurry ones of the wiring, use the "macro" feature on your camera. It tells the camera to focus on stuff closest to the lense.

Thanks Bill. ANY rust bothers me! I used my hand grinder on the battery tray, it was the worst, and then coated it with some thick high-heat paint. The rest cleaned up pretty well so I just shot a few light coats.

As for the camera, the zoom feature no longer works on my old Olympus. That camera is pretty much shot, so it's what I use when working on the car or going yarding. Sorry the pics were so blurry. Those were on the driver's side and visible once I pulled out the airbox.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 12:35 pm

On my first LT1 wagon I had to use a mud flap off a big truck for a battery tray/inner fender, and a bungee cord to hold the battery in place, it was way beyond rust. I would love it if all I had to worry about is rust stains. tongue

Mike
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 2:25 pm

I looked at my car and the install pictures here. It seems like the horns should fit with the headlight harness from Innovative Wiring. Off to the junk yard I go......

Just got back from the junk yard where I pulled 3 passenger side horn sets, from a 92 RMS, 93 Fleetwood and a 94 RMS.

The is a difference in wiring. The TBI car has a thicker gauge wire that runs from passenger to driver side where it connects to a weatherpack connector. The LT1 car runs from passenger side to drivers side where it is spliced together and then runs to a connector by the PCM. One could cut at the splice or take the whole harness. I took the whole harness for both sets of horns. I can't comment on the Fleetwood as it whole engine bay harness was gone.

I can update later to confirm or deny fitment when I mount the horns. Wiring will not be fun, having done the headlight harnesses already that much I know.

EDIT- With Gary's (Innovative Wiring) four relay headlight harness, you can only fit the rearmost horn inside the passenger fender. I can't speak on the two relay harness but I am guessing the two horns won't fit with that as well.

4-note "Tugboat" horn install Imag0310[/url]
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:50 pm

I love this mod. Pissed my wife off the other night going to dinner...kept blowing the horns. Ha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Look Mike, rust!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 4:52 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Look Mike, rust!

Easy fix!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Just put the two extra horns on the core support behind the driver's headlight. There is a perfect flat spot right there.
Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 5:58 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Just put the two extra horns on the core support behind the driver's headlight. There is a perfect flat spot right there.

I will have to check that out. If not, it sounds pretty good with three horns. Notes are an A and F on the driver's side and a B and C on the passenger side.

Last edited by rh96ss on Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 7:15 pm

I don't remember what that bracket that holds the headlight relays looks like. Could you bend it so the relays are pointed more downward, and install the horns in the stock location?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Back to top Go down
rh96ss

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Nick Danger wrote:
I don't remember what that bracket that holds the headlight relays looks like. Could you bend it so the relays are pointed more downward, and install the horns in the stock location?

No
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 am

I'm sending Dick in Oregon some of these for his '92 OCC, and thought I might point out a couple of things specific to TBI cars.

On my OCC, the ground for the battery was in the hole for the metal stud one of the horns needs, but there is a hole right above this, and I just moved the ground there, and the horn mounted right up. In my old pics above this is the same way things mounted in my Roady.

Also, the holes for the other horn are much easier to get at if you unbolt the coolant overflow bottle (2-bolts) and just set it aside. Makes the job easy. Had to do this on the LT1 cars as well, but its easier with the TBI cars.

Oh and the horns are marked for their notes. On the driver's side, the horns are and "A" and and "F". The passenger side ones from either a Roady sedan or a Caddy Fleetwood are a "C" and a "D" tone.

It's funny, I tested the new horns with a battery on my workbench, and the "C" is a loud high pitch while the "D" is a warbly squak. Funny. Did the same thing when I put these on my '96 LT1 Roady. Good idea to test them, you never know with salvage yard parts.

Still one of my favorite cheap and easy mods. The 4-note horns make it sound like a locomotive. cheers

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 am

I still need to get some bolts for the passenger side. Anyone know the size? I'd like to avoid unbolting my current horns to drive to the hardware store to find a matching size.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm

5/16"x3/4" sheet metal screw, a lag screw or the same size would work too.

Might be 1/4" diameter screw after thinking about it. Get both, and start your hardware collection with the left overs.

Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 am

Here's some horns and info on my TBI wagon install, '92 Olds Custom Cruiser.

Dick, the horns on the left are yours. Only one of the ones on the right work. Yours have a little corrosion on them, but I jumped them on the battery and they work fine.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts003
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts006-1

Will not show once installed.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts031

The horns have the tone letters on them, molded in the plastic. A and F are on the driver's side, and C and D are the ones you grab from a passenger side of a Roady sedan or Fleetwood.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts012
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts014
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts016

I did have to re-locate the battery ground wire to the hole a little higher on the inner fender. The lock/location stud on the horn goes where the ground bolt was.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts020

It's worth removing the two bolts holding in the coolant bottle and moving it out of the way to get at the mounting spot for the other horn. Once the bottle is moved the install is easy.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts025

I used the stock sedan wiring that I nabbed at the salvage yard and spliced a wire to it, and ran it along the factory harness under the upper part of the radiator support. Once on the driver's side I just used a quick-splice to connect it to the factory Olds horn power wire. See green wire.
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts033
4-note "Tugboat" horn install Parts035

That's it. Now go press the horn button and wake up the neighbors. The Queen Mary is preparing to dock! Very Happy

-Mike

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 am

I need to do this.

This is what I will do Friday in Daytona. Smile

Or sooner, if there are any 4-note horn cars in my local yard. Smile
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

Mike,
Thanks.
I will let you know when they get here, and how the install goes. Looks easy.
Dick
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 pm

where is the video with you honking the new horn? lets hear it
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 pm

buickestate wrote:
where is the video with you honking the new horn? lets hear it

Yeah, a picture may be worth a thousand words but it ain't worth four horns. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
gwturbo

gwturbo

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Acquired the extra horns at local yard and did this mod today. Very easy and I love the new sound. Wish it was louder but I like it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Going to thread jack this and say I found a set in Daytona, installed them yesterday. I love this mod Laughing

Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 pm

rh96ss wrote:
I looked at my car and the install pictures here. It seems like the horns should fit with the headlight harness from Innovative Wiring. Off to the junk yard I go......

Just got back from the junk yard where I pulled 3 passenger side horn sets, from a 92 RMS, 93 Fleetwood and a 94 RMS.

The is a difference in wiring. The TBI car has a thicker gauge wire that runs from passenger to driver side where it connects to a weatherpack connector. The LT1 car runs from passenger side to drivers side where it is spliced together and then runs to a connector by the PCM. One could cut at the splice or take the whole harness. I took the whole harness for both sets of horns. I can't comment on the Fleetwood as it whole engine bay harness was gone.

I can update later to confirm or deny fitment when I mount the horns. Wiring will not be fun, having done the headlight harnesses already that much I know.

EDIT- With Gary's (Innovative Wiring) four relay headlight harness, you can only fit the rearmost horn inside the passenger fender. I can't speak on the two relay harness but I am guessing the two horns won't fit with that as well.

4-note "Tugboat" horn install Imag0310[/url]

When I did this mod, I was able to fit the two relay harness between the horns. I drilled a hole and mounted them on the wheelwell.

4-note "Tugboat" horn install Hornsandlightrelays2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 pm

This reminds me that my horns must have been lost somewhere in our postal system because
I know Mike 81x11 remembered to mail them about a month ago!RIGHT Mike?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4-note "Tugboat" horn install   4-note "Tugboat" horn install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4-note "Tugboat" horn install
Page 1 of 1