GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Door panel armrest light question???

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Door panel armrest light question??? Empty
PostSubject: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 9:45 pm

I've got the driver's front door panel off, getting ready to put the upper part front the old panel on the painted panel of the new one. The light that comes on when you open the doors, under the arm rest, is out. I put a new bulb in it and it still does not come on. Pulled out my voltage tester and I have no power there. I unplugged the wiring itself and tested the plug. Still no power. I chased the wire into the taped-together harness and do not see any breaks or tears in the wiring.

Anyone else have this issue?

I know it's a little thing, but since I'm going to the trouble to totally rebuild the door panel...I'd like the light to work. Everything else on the panel works fine.

Ideas?

-Mike
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Stupid question, but you were testing for power with the dome lights ON, correct?

Usually those lights are a simple fix. You just need to bend the tabs outwards a bit so they hold onto the bulbs securely again.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:43 pm

i had a astro that dome light did not come on the wires in harness that goes to door where broken internally. the out side of harness looked good but where they bent when door opened and closed where broken inside. if i moved thr harness with my hands when door was open the light would flicker. might want to check it out
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Mike did you get my PM about the maroon driver side door panel?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:45 am

What PM???
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:47 am

Yes the dome lights are on, and the tabs hold the bulb fine. All the other door lights and the dome lights work fine, and all come on when any door is opened. It's only the light on the driver's door that's not working.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 7:29 am

Mike I found some maroon Caprice door panels on Ebay.Sent it to your home email address.I
will find it again and send you the listing number instead.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:09 am

Check for continuity to the light fixture orange wire at the C302 connector and S312 splice (8 cm./4 in. from C302) at the base of the A pillar.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Check for continuity to the light fixture orange wire at the C302 connector and S312 splice (8 cm./4 in. from C302) at the base of the A pillar.

I see the orange wire and chased it back into the door itself. Is the easiest way to find the connector and splice to open up the "organ-cover" off the wires in the door jam? I tried to see the wiring under the dash but not seeing what I need to do...

The door panel came out GREAT and is ready to put back on but I really want to figure the light out.

Thanks for all the help.

- Mike

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:35 pm

You should be able to find the connector behind the DS kick panel. From there you should be able to locate the splice.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 12:02 am

May be a stupid question mike but did you check the door jamb switch ? And will the light come on if you open the passender door?

Reason I am askinf is because I have a simular situation, and beleive I tacked it down to the drivers door switch, as mine works (Door Light0 when you open the other door
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 12:25 pm

1phastsswagon wrote:
May be a stupid question mike but did you check the door jamb switch ? And will the light come on if you open the passender door?

Reason I am askinf is because I have a simular situation, and beleive I tacked it down to the drivers door switch, as mine works (Door Light0 when you open the other door

Still have not tracked this issue down. Interior lights all come on when I open the drivers door or use the key fob to unlock the doors. All the lights in the headliner, doors, and under the dash come on fine. It's just the driver's door light that has never worked since I've owned the car. The wires, as far as I can tell, look fine inside the door, so the issue must be under the dash somewhere.

If there were not still things to fix I'd get bored..... Laughing

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm

There is a connector in the door between the light pigtail, and the harness. Did you check the connector to see if it is connected? It is just about in the middle of the panel. If it is connected, check the following.

There should be voltage at pin A (orange wire) of the "in the door" connector. You can also check for continuity of the pigtail from the connector to the courtesy light.

To check for voltage at connector C302, the wire should be at pin B on the C302 connector, and go to S312 which is about 4 inches from the connector, then to the connector in the door on pin A. You can check for voltage by sticking a straight pin, or needle through the insulation, and measuring it to ground. If the wire does not have voltage after the splice, the splice is bad. If the wire does not have continuity to the light, it is either the connector in the door or the wire is broken at some point. If it is the wire, you can just run a piece of orange wire through the door from the splice to the connector. If it is the wire from the door connector to the light, you can run a wire to replace it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:14 pm

Will play with that soon....for now I'm scared to touch my new door panel for fear of cracking it. Misty slammed the door a few weeks back and I nearly took her head off... Ha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Door panel armrest light question???   Door panel armrest light question??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Door panel armrest light question???
Page 1 of 1