GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
44whoo

radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Empty
PostSubject: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 pm

can i splice a variable resistor into my fuel gauge wire to make the gauge more accurate? if i can how would it be done?the part from radio shack has 3 prongs and i think i only need 2. i saw the mod where you add more resistance to the sender but i dont want to remove it just for that if i can just splice a wire and have 90% of the accuracy.thanks-dave
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 pm

It's pretty easy.

Get a 0-1000 ohm 20-turn trimpot resistor. You want 20-turn, because the sweet spot is kind of small for 10-turns. When the screw is in the center position, it should be about 500 ohms from the side pin to the center pin. Once you have that, cut off the third pin and solder some wires to the pins you have left. You can put heat shrink over the result. I just wrapped everything with tape to protect the pins.

You'll want to put a crimp-on ring terminal on the ground wire. I think it's a quarter inch.

Then follow the directions here: http://www.fuelgaugecalibrator.com/bbody/Instructionsbbody.html

My result was that the gauge reads F when the tank is full, and E when it the tank is empty. My low-fuel light didn't illuminate until the tank was completely empty, and the engine was sputtering. That isn't a big deal for us, because we refill at 1/4 tank anyway.

Last edited by Nick Danger on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Someone put a kit together with instructions to do just that. He sold me one for each car for about $15 each. As Nick pointed out.

The shape of the tank still keeps you guessing, Joels fix seems to be the best (unit out of the tank). http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?p=2217043
Back to top Go down
44whoo

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 pm

thanks for the quick replies, at the local radio shack i found a 15 turn resistor will it work or will i have to go to another r.s.?also the instructions that was linked in the replies were not complete,does anyone have a complete walk thru?thanks! dave
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 pm

The 15 turn will work just fine..

I've found out the hard way that the secret is not about having your gauge be accurate when your tank is full.

The real secret is having the gauge be accurate when it is empty.

Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 pm

44whoo wrote:
thanks for the quick replies, at the local radio shack i found a 15 turn resistor will it work or will i have to go to another r.s.?also the instructions that was linked in the replies were not complete,does anyone have a complete walk thru?thanks! dave

I thought that the instructions were pretty good. What is left out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 pm

It's a matter of simply hooking up the new resistor in parallel with the old one.
The wire is purple and runs along the drivers door sill. Peel back the rug under the hood release lever and you'll find it..
Back to top Go down
44whoo

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 pm

guy's i'm sorry that i asked for better instructions,i first looked at the link and only saw the pic of the 1st page of instructions.now that i see the full instructions it looks real easy.i hope to do the install this weekend. thanks
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 7:16 am

no problem, just show up for Wagonfest. You are in the same state!

..... and bring BEER!
Back to top Go down
44whoo

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:13 pm

i installed the resistor yesterday,it seems to be working great.thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?   radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

radio shack variable resistor to fix gas gauge?
Page 1 of 1