GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TC question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

TC question Empty
PostSubject: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 5:21 pm

How can I tell/test if the Torque Converter is going out on the 4L60E?

When I drive on the highway (70-80MPH) it feels like a bad tire, when I put it in Neutral, it goes away. Also, FIRST thing in the morning while the engine is still cold, I try to stop but the car wants to keep going..... overpowering the brakes sometimes. Neutral solves this too, but I think it's more a vacuum issue than the TC.

Opinions?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:09 pm

it might be a vacuum leak as you suspect,. making the motor mis fore with the converter locked up,. which shakes the car,. putting it in nuetral fixes the problem, but if you step on it hard does it also go away?

nick
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:48 pm

WOT it goes away
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 1:58 am

You might be getting TC lockup chatter (clutch slipping). The Caddy does that with a load out the back.

Try holding it at 70 and lightly apply the brake. You should feel the TC unlock and the revs go up a bit. If it stops vibrating, its time for a new TC

Bill
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:14 pm

There are other things to check before replacing the TC itself.

I'd replace the TC solenoid before you replace the TC. Are you getting any codes? The TC solenoid is just a lot easier to replace than the TC; just drop the pan, remove the filter, cut two wires, two 10mm bolts, swap and reconnect.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:33 am

No codes so far. I'll figure it out, WF is is 2 weeks......
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:47 am

sherlock9c1 wrote:
There are other things to check before replacing the TC itself.

I'd replace the TC solenoid before you replace the TC. Are you getting any codes? The TC solenoid is just a lot easier to replace than the TC; just drop the pan, remove the filter, cut two wires, two 10mm bolts, swap and reconnect.

Your absolutely correct, but in the past, I have found that a bad TC solinoid if left for a while, tends to chew up the clutch material. Works for a few months then its new TC time. Only when they fail completely (no TC lockup) does the replacement work.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TC question Empty
PostSubject: Re: TC question   TC question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TC question
Page 1 of 1