GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Horn restoration

Go down 
+2
phantom 309
200OZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
200OZ
200OZ

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 am

Has any one taken GM factory horns apart, cleaned them up, (removed rust) and successfully put them back together again, so they work like new? I've got a few horns off a RMS, and one sounds a little sick, and I would like to clean them all up a little before putting them on too.

Thanks,
Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

drop it in a bucket of diesel for a day or so,. then hook it to a battery,. um,. don't look into the horn as you do that,..

Nick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Horns are so cheap in the pic-n-pull junk yards, go grab one...about $5. Hint...Look for the ones that are not rusty.
Back to top Go down

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Sounds like someone looked at the horn after ssoaking it in diesel.Bet it will spray across the room!
Jim
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Sounds like someone looked at the horn after ssoaking it in diesel.Bet it will spray across the room!
Jim
Yeah, that sounds like experience speaking...or honking.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Horns are so cheap in the pic-n-pull junk yards, go grab one...about $5. Hint...Look for the ones that are not rusty.

Hahaha..... Look for one's that aren't rusty..... Hahaha..... I'll do that next time I'm south of the Mason Dixon. You southerners are funny, you do realize us northerners hate you.... In a nice, jealous kind of way! Laughing

Soak it in Diesel, then put 12v to it huh Nick. Twisted Evil

Mike
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 am

dude,. you really think 12v and diesel is volatile??

*yawn*,..

k

Nick
Back to top Go down

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:08 am

Only when mixed with fertilizer then it goes BOOM!
Jim
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 am

phantom 309 wrote:
dude,. you really think 12v and diesel is volatile??

*yawn*,..

k

Nick

No, not really... It reminded me of that video of the hillbilly in his dining room, and thought it was funny, but diesel fuel? Does that really work? I kinda thought you were kidding.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am

Yeah, if you mix the two in the proper ratio, it makes a really good explosive. It is what the Unibomber used to take down the building, and a muslim terrorist set one off in the underground parking garage at the World Trade Center which destroyed about 3-4 stories of the garage. It is also used in a lot of mining operations.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Yeah, if you mix the two in the proper ratio, it makes a really good explosive.

Well then I'm keeping my horns away from the Diesel pumps!!!!!
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2011 7:37 am

Ok, I tried Nick's trick with the diesel fuel, but only soaked them for about 4 hours. Hook them up last night, and they all work. Thanks Nick, sorry I doubted you.

Mike
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 12:47 pm

ok I went to the local jy and found a set but the dont honk, they kinda click, are they junk or will the diesel trick work to make them honk again?

Thanks Beau
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:17 am

Bump any one have any help if they are good or junk?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Yeah, if you mix the two in the proper ratio, it makes a really good explosive. It is what the Unibomber used to take down the building, and a muslim terrorist set one off in the underground parking garage at the World Trade Center which destroyed about 3-4 stories of the garage. It is also used in a lot of mining operations.

Sorry I have got to call you on this Fred, the Unibomber sent package bombs to people and lived in the woods in a cabin. Timothy McVeigh was the Oklahoma City bomber that blew up the Federal building assisted by Terry Nichols. He used diesel and fertilizer (prilled ammonium nitrate). Diesel by it self is pretty passive and hard to ignite.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 6:37 pm

The diesel trick works on some anyway, 3 out of the 4 I had now work. Try to get as much of the fuel out of the horns though, it makes a mess if you pull them out of the diesel and power them up right away.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Horn restoration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Horn restoration   Horn restoration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Horn restoration
Page 1 of 1