GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Speedometer Help?!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Guys,
What would make the spedometer take a few miles to start working? My 91 just started acting up as where it takes a little bit for it to start reading?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:18 pm

You may have a dirty set of contacts, or the circuit board on the back of the cluster may be dying. The circuit board is the same as the RMW or RMS from 91-93. If your cruise control works properly during the speedo malfunction, the VSS is putting out the correct signal. There is a VSS module at the top of the convenience center that could also be malfunctioning. It is the flat module fastened to the side (top) of the convenience center.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for the 411 fred, how difficult is it to remove the speedo cluster from this. Is it as easy as my 95 imp?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:21 pm

You have to remove the access panel below the steering column first, and pull the part over the glovebox before trying to remove the dash. Then, you have to remove the dash front... There are 4-5 screws under the dash pad, one above the parking brake release handle, and one at the bottom left of the glove box. It will pull off of a couple clips. You are advised to put the steering wheel in the full down position and remove the lever for the tilt, and put the trans in 1st gear (chock the car). Remember to remove the clip on the left side of the steering column for the gear selector pointer cable. There should be 4 screws holding the cluster in.

I would check the VSS module first. It is easy (in comparison to removing the entire dash) to get at through the access panel under the steering column. Grab one from a junkyard car and just plug it in. If it works, install it permanently. If it does not fix your problem, then it is probably the cluster.
Back to top Go down

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Robert,my OCC does it everytime there is a big temperature change.All I do is gently rap on the
speedo face and it pops up and then works fine.It does it every winter when it starts to get cold at night.Tach does it too.Its getting stiff in its old age!
Jim
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Jim, Tried that (thinking old school ways) Nope nada doesnt work. All the other gauges work fine, it's just the speedo that has its waking up (screw you - I aint working yet) moments
Back to top Go down

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Well I tried,maybe you hit like a girl Robert?
Jim
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:40 pm

L.M.A.O well maybe but highly doubtfull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speedometer Help?! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speedometer Help?!   Speedometer Help?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speedometer Help?!
Page 1 of 1