GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tensioner replacement

Go down 
+3
95BRMW
silverfox103
nowhereman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
nowhereman

nowhereman

tensioner replacement Empty
PostSubject: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 am

I need to replace my accessory belt tensioner, the one that drives the alternator. It's noisy. I figured I would replace the assembly, seems easier than removing the pulley. Anyone have a part number for a tensioner assembly for heavy-duty cooling LT1? I keep seeing assemblies for NON-heavyduty applications, I have yet to see one listed as specifically FOR heavy-duty. Thanks...
Back to top Go down
http://photography.personaimaging.com/cars/1995buick
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:30 am

I don't know a part number Doug, but those are an over the counter part at any parts store. At least they were, as I have bought them there.

Tom
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 9:52 am

Bought one at autozone about a month ago, it was under $40. If you don't have a mechanical fan its a 10 minute install and you don't even need to go under the car.
Back to top Go down
nowhereman

nowhereman

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Tom, David- I guess I will take my chances at the parts house.
Since I do have the mechanical fan, are there any gotchas to replacing the tensioner?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Nothing much, just have to work from under the car. I don't remember having to remove anything extra when I did this in my tow pack wagon.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Easy job to do on a LT1 - as David Points out can be done under the car. Remove the Belt, and there is 2 bolts to remove. Install is just as easy.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:44 pm

The main serpentine tensioner is the same between the regular and heavy duty. The mechanical fan has an additional smaller tensioner.

It's kind of a pita with the mechanical fan, as I think you need to take the fan and bracket off to get the belt off, but still less than an hour to do. Smile
Back to top Go down
nowhereman

nowhereman

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks gang. Nice to have support as I keep this 217,000 mile vehicle on the road.
Back to top Go down
nowhereman

nowhereman

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:47 pm

A bit of followup on tensioners:

Tensioner #1, serpentine: Easy to find over-the-counter. Easy to replace on a HD cooling LT1 from the bottom. Just have to take tensioner #2 off first. Mechanical fan/bracket did not have to come off for me.

Tensioner #2, fan belt: Couldn't get the assembly or the pulley at the O'Reilly's, Advance, or CarQuest counters. The pulley is plastic so pressing a new bearing in doesn't seem feasible. There is a number cast on the assembly(10186118) which matches a search at gmpartsdirect, looks to be a GM part number. They want 50 bucks plus shipping. This is what the tensioner looks like:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I replaced tensioner #1, noise seems better but we'll see what happens. I hope it isn't the water pump. Neither of the tensioners make a lot of noise when I spin them under zero load.

Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 8:00 pm

alternators get noisy too , take a 3/8ths long extension and use it as a listening post,.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Its old school and doesnt require a battery either,but it works.
Jim
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I bought a new one of the fan tensioners years ago when I first got my Roadmaster. Its still sitting in my cabinet of parts and I never used it. I remember it being extremely expensive and a GM only part.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 6:45 pm

nowhereman wrote:
...I replaced tensioner #1, noise seems better but we'll see what happens...
It could be the compressor bearing.
See if the noise goes away when you engage the AC clutch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tensioner replacement   tensioner replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tensioner replacement
Page 1 of 1