GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice

Go down 
+4
sherlock9c1
DBeaSSt
phantom 309
buickestate
8 posters
AuthorMessage
buickestate
buickestate

Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Empty
PostSubject: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Paul is on a road trip up near sudbury Ontario and just texted me stating that he has just lost over drive and thrid gear, wants to know if it's internal or external? oh and he is driving his 92 LO5 that we picked up from sproket in december last year.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 6:40 am

the 3-4 clutch pack is likely wore out,.
joel will chime in when he reads this ,.
chris is in sudbury, he has the 1972 green ford wagon,. the boxy caprice and 1 of freds gold woody wagons,. i think he's "northern classics" on the issf.
stuff another kijiji tranny in it in the parking lot wherever he is,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 am

I'd tend to agree with Nick. I had the same happen on my Fleetwood. Driving along and all of the sudden, no third or fourth. Fix = replace/rebuild trans
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 8:58 am

I thought that "northern Classics" was in NorthBay quite a bit south of sudbury. the irony is that we have a good tranny to put in his 92 sitting in the shop that we got from Bewbzout last week end but he decieded to hook up a trailer to his 92, strap an old upright piano in the trailer and take it to sudbury on the old tranny. Laughing

I got the feeling that he will nurse her home on first and secound pulling the trailer full of used railroad ties geek

So, I guess that his real question is will his tranny make the journey back to London from sudbury on first and secound while pulling a trailer full of rail road ties? and what can he do to preserve what's left of the tranny via aditives or driving habbits,

Oh and does anyone here happen to have a class 2 hitch for a Porsche 928? lol!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Yeah, what Nick and Mike said. It's the number one fault of these transmissions.

Just drive it in 2. My suggestion would be gentle on it but I know of at least one guy who drove home from Indianapolis to St. Louis bouncing off the rev limiter the whole time and made it home fine.

2nd gear is mechanically independent from 3rd so I wouldn't expect 2nd to go out imminently unless the trans has a pressure problem (i.e. low pressure).

Heat would be my biggest concern, but there's really not much you can do to mitigate it. Just drive it home.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Will try to find the pin outs for the ALDL for the non-electronic 4L60. If he is running in 2nd all the way, the torgue is going to remain unlocked. Maybe some heat issues. Can physically lock the torgue across two terminals on the ALDL plug under the dash (think the lockup is the lower right and the ground is the upper left).

Just tell Paul to take it easy and stay off the 4 lanes.

Bill
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
If he is running in 2nd all the way, the torgue is going to remain unlocked. Maybe some heat issues.
Yes, but at those rpms, the amount of converter slippage should be minimal.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
convert2diesel wrote:
If he is running in 2nd all the way, the torgue is going to remain unlocked. Maybe some heat issues.
Yes, but at those rpms, the amount of converter slippage should be minimal.

Maybe not with a trailer load of railway ties. Anyway connecting pins "A" and "F" on the ALDL (Top right and bottom left???) will cause a forced lockup in any gear except 1st.

Bill
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 am

thanks guys, he is now on his way back to london nursing the wagon and his load of rail road ties...

I've been asked to stay near the phone till he gets back or burns out the tranny
Back to top Go down
tailpipe

tailpipe

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 pm

ok made it home thanks guys i kept the trailer empty it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping it does nothing at all just revs like crazy even has trouble deciding what gear 1st or 2nd it want to be in feels more like a valve prob to me but not going to bother just dump it for the other i have here thanks again

Paul
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am

Personally, If you are having thoughts of a becoming a tranny, this is the wrong forum. Most of us are only cross-dressers, and don't know much about being transvestites.

IF YOU HAD A CAR PROBLEM, WE COULD HELP YOU. lol!
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 pm

lakeffect wrote:
Personally, If you are having thoughts of a becoming a tranny, this is the wrong forum. Most of us are only cross-dressers, and don't know much about being transvestites.

IF YOU HAD A CAR PROBLEM, WE COULD HELP YOU. lol!

you mean all this time I thought you were dressing up like a big black whale, but you were realy trying to look like an Italian grand mother! affraid
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

glad to hear you got her home ok.

I wonder if it's the original tranny in there?

I had a Ford van and the tranny was slipping so naturally I hooked up a 19ft boat and dragged it to the keys and back for my bachelor party weekend.

I got it home but managed one more trip....to the transmission shop, lol.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Quote :
you mean all this time I thought you were dressing up like a big black whale, but you were really trying to look like an Italian grand mother! affraid

close , Sicilian mother-in-law complete with mustache and unibrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice   Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paul has a tranny issue, needs advice
Page 1 of 1