GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!

Go down 
+6
Lynol
silverfox103
Krzdimond
81X11
phantom 309
MarkH
10 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Empty
PostSubject: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah.... THAT was fun! Luckily I didn't have far to go and get home just fine. I THOUGHT it was because the the bezel was caked with ice. So I used a heat gun to get it all out and noticed some gunk build up... leaves dirt etc. Cleaned it all out with and flipped the switch and the passenger side works fine, but the drivers side gave an anemic wiggle. I looked closer and the shaft appears to be turning but the arm doesn't move under it's own power. I figure the teeth on the wiper arm are probably stripped. It was late and I didn't feel like messing with it, but I probably will tonight or tomorrow.

My question is, where's the best place I can get a replacement part for the wipers? I figure if the driver's side is out, the pass side is probably on it's way too, so I'll just do both. Id rather have have two new ones than something from a bone yard.

thanks,

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 am

The wifes lincoln drivers side did the same thing stripped the splines in the arm,.
i wrapped the drive splines with 3-4 wraps of tin foil, then put the arm back on, been a couple of years at least,.it,s an option,.

Nick
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

phantom 309 wrote:
The wifes lincoln drivers side did the same thing stripped the splines in the arm,.
i wrapped the drive splines with 3-4 wraps of tin foil, then put the arm back on, been a couple of years at least,.it,s an option,.

Nick

NICE!!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:18 am

What's a snowstorm?
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:25 am

it's like a thunderstorm... only in solid form... oh... your boogers and eyelids tend to freeze. A high of 17 today!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 am

81X11 wrote:
What's a snowstorm?

Frozen rain with wind Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

Mike,you remember what rain is dont you?
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

Going to be sunny and upper 60's both Sat and Sunday. I think I'll pull out my shorts.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

I took this last night and sent it to my buddy who left for Hawaii earlier this week. Taken last night before my commute home. Caption read:
"Hope you've got your toes in the water and ass in the sand. Wish you were here!"
Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! 0112121638
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

No...nononononono.

Scary stuff! Stay warm!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

phantom 309 wrote:

Nick

That's a good tip, Nick comes through again!

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:10 pm

That happened to my Caprice last winter, it just slowly stripped out the splines on the arm over the course of using it during one rainy week. I took that opportunity to do the H body wiper arm mod. I've done Nick's trick with the tin foil on my van, still going strong!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Lynol wrote:
I took that opportunity to do the H body wiper arm mod.

Whazzat? Link?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
Lynol wrote:
I took that opportunity to do the H body wiper arm mod.

Whazzat? Link?

^^^^^ link or pics of mod?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 2:16 pm

I 2nd that. What's the H-body mod? Does it park the wipers down lower in the off position? That's one of my few gripes on my Roady, that you see the wipers. On the old B-bodies like my '86 Caprice and '89 Custom Cruiser, what you saw beyond the dash was the long hood, not the wiper blades and then the hood.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 5:29 pm

You can use wiper arms off a '00 to '05 LeSabre or Bonneville. The advantages of using these arms are that you can tilt the wiper arms out for easier cleaning of the windshield/stop blades from freezing to windshield i anticipation of a storm, and they also press the blade harder against the glass and stop a lot of chattering that happens. I did it on my blue Caprice and it worked very well, although FYI use the "beam" style blades or at least don't use cheap Duralast blades like I did. The pressure put on the passenger side blade caused mine to make a "click" noise as the squeegee flipped to the other side as the arm reached it's farthest point, then headed back down.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=227892
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Since they no longer hit the factory stops, do they park lower on the windshield, or is the main plus the ability to fold them up, and possibly less chatter?

Remember it hardly ever rains here....but I like the idea of the wipers sitting lower on the cowl.

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Plus sides are just that. Ability to fold up and elimination of chatter.

They don't park any lower on the windshield.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 pm

81X11 wrote:
Since they no longer hit the factory stops, do they park lower on the windshield, or is the main plus the ability to fold them up, and possibly less chatter?

Remember it hardly ever rains here....but I like the idea of the wipers sitting lower on the cowl.

-Mike

remove your wipers, then buy some rainex,..you shouldn't drive the car in the rain anyway, it gets dirty,.

Texas still needs rain,. the lakes are still waay down,.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Anything that quiets these noisy damn wipers is worth a try.Have razor bladed the windshield and
tryed all the good blades and the cheap ones too.Still starts sgueaking after a few minutes.
Jim
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 pm

I saw Lynol's F-body wiper arm in action on his car and it worked awesome, much better than stock. I did this on my Caprice and didn't get such great results. I don't know if I got some arms with worn springs or what, but mine always squeak if there isn't enough water on the window. I tried a couple sets of different blades with the same results. When they don't make noise they are awesome though!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Going to try this mod anyway!
Jim
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Going to try this mod anyway!
Jim

Its worth trying, if not anything else, the spray pattern for the washer is much better than stock.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks Nick for the suggestion... the aluminum foil worked like a charm!
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:27 pm

MarkH wrote:
Thanks Nick for the suggestion... the aluminum foil worked like a charm!

I sent you the invoice in a pm,..

i,m an idea man, i got lots of idea's,.

some are good ones,...

nick
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 11:46 am

I did the Bonneville wiper mod. Even with Duralast blades, it worked better than stock. But the Duralast blades only lasted a few months before they started chattering too. That was about three uses last year. The locking clips keep opening up.

The pre-curved blades hug the passenger side of the windshield. Next time I'm going to try a higher quality curved blade.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Bump of sorts.

I pulled a pair of wiper arms from a LeSabre when I went to the junkyard last week, then headed to Amazon to order some Bosch Icons. Holy crap, what a difference! This mod is awesome. Took me no more than 10 minutes to do. Spray bolts with PB Blaster, eat lunch, come back, remove wipers with ease, replace.

The hoses fit just fine and all works as it should. Awesome. I bought a 22" for the driver's side and 20" for passenger like someone said here... works great.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 7:04 pm

I tried the LeSabre wiper arms last year and while they do work better than the B body arms they don't look right when parked. They are too bulky imo.

I don't think Texas Mike will like the look either.

For another quick fix on the wiper arms.
Clean the splines on the transmission shafts good with WD-40 and a wire brush. Then use a copper pipe fitting brush and clean out the wiper arm hole. Clean both parts with a non-residue solvent. Put a dab of blue lock tight on the shaft and bolt the arms back on. The splines on the shaft will make nice new splines in the wiper arm... Good as new.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Nick Danger before you buy the fancy blades,try this old trick.Saturate a old washcloth with pure
bleach and slowly wipe down the blade.Go back and forth a few times.Bleach removes all the
sunburned surface rubber and leaves a like new appearance.Been doing that trick for 40 years or
so and it has always worked and is a lot cheaper.Get some of that bleach on the carpet and you
are in big trouble with the wife so be careful.
Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!   Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wipers stopped working last night in snow storm!
Page 1 of 1