GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Intermittent wipers not working

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

Intermittent wipers not working Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 1:42 am

I searched, but didn't find anything on this issue.

Has anybody had issues with the intermittent wiper function not working on their RMW?

They aren't working in our new 94 RMW, and since we live in Portland, land of perpetual drizzle, they're kind of mandatory.

Is it an issue with the stalk, or a control module somewhere?

Thanks!
Ian
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am

Could be in the stalk switch or the wiring, but the brains are in a circuit board attached to the wiper motor. I repaired one once by carefully replacing all the corroded tracings with wire soldered to the components.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 am

Is the control module available? I looked to wiper motors but only sawbthe actual motor.

My gut says it the module not the switch. I can't see how the switch could wear out for all intermittent speeds.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Anybody know if the stalk and wiper are the same from a Caprice? There is a Caprice wagon in a local yard I want to go check out, figure I can grab the stalk or wiper motor if needed.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 8:13 pm

The wiper module on the motor is usually the culprit. Grab that and install it. Do not worry about the wiper stalk, it is almost never the problem. You need a torx bit (15~20) to remove the module. You also need a very short handled driver of some sort. The D and B-body modules are all the same, and there are a number of other models that have the same module as well. Get a couple of them as backups.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks, I think I just found your post on an Impala forum. I will start by pulling the one I have and see if anything is obvious, but hopefully I can find one in the yard. O'Reilys had a good cross reference I will print out to take.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 am

I do not even look at the old one, I just swap them out, and if it does not work, I get another one and swap it out.
Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks Fred, you were right. I grabbed a module off a Caprice, swapped it out, and voila! The intermittent wipers work again.

So nice to have a car that I can get parts for at Pick-n-pull.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent wipers not working   Intermittent wipers not working Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent wipers not working
Page 1 of 1