GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

grill options

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:23 pm

ok so i was driving down the boulavard yesterday and a blue caprice sadan cought my eye it is wrecked in the back but has a good hood and grill i just want the hood. it is the same exaxt color as my wagon. my question is my can i get my rmw grill rechromed the rusting hood has took off the chrome in spots and looks like crap. i was thinking of going the occ grill way as i have found a 1910 buick emblem that would look very good on the grill[img]grill options 003[/img]
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm

it is hard to tell the chrome is missing in the pic. but it is discollered along the top of the grill u can feel it when you run your finger over the top of it. will the occ match up?
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 pm

[img]grill options 002[/img]
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:57 pm

You could get the grille re-chromed, but it would cost you a fortune. You'd be better off finding a good used one for less money. Also, you could put an OCC grille on it, but you'll have a big gap at the bottom. The Caprice and OCC grille are shorter than the RM grille, and the RM bumper is different; it's got a big dip in the middle to allow for the larger grille.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

a gap? how big of a gap? does anyone have a picture of this? i was planning on getting a bumper from e bay search roadmaster bumper. do u think it will have a gap?
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 pm

There aren't any good pics of it that come up on google (I guess people are trying to keep from showing the gap lol) but the easiest way to see what will happen is by comparing the front ends of the Roadmaster and the Caprice/OCC/Impala.

Here is a picture of the front end of a RMW:
grill options 1996_buick_roadmaster_4_dr_estate_wagon-pic-6823576431302246172

Here is a picture of the front end of a Caprice:
grill options 2784226211_4359a0e687

As you can see, the front bumper shape is different between the 2. The Roadmaster bumper has a dip in it to accommodate the grille. The Caprice bumper is straight all the way across.

This is the best picture of the resulting gap that you would get with a Caprice/OCC/Impala grill on a RMW
grill options 1991%2B91%2BBuick%2BRoadmaster%2BEstate%2BWagon%2BStation%2BB-Body%2BL03%2BV8%2BWoody%2BWood%2BGrain%2B5
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

yea um ill just get a new rm grill and put a classic roadmaster badge on it the diagnal cursive one i found on e bay
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Yea. That's probably your best bet. In order to get any of the other grills to look right, you'd have to switch out the front bumper which is more work than it's worth IMHO.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm

well i was looking at a front bumper on ebay from california i cant figure out how to a link thing. but if you search buick rm bumper itll pop up and say caprice bumpre fits rm
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 4:57 pm

The bumper WILL fit. The question you have to ask yourself is, do you want to buy a bumper, and take the time to switch out the bumpers so that you can fit a different grill. If the answer is yes, then go for it. Keep in mind that the chrome trim on the bumpers is different, and the larger chrome moulding on the RMW wouldn't flow through to the skinny chrome moulding on the caprice bumper.
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:05 pm

yea ill just save that money for the paint job
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Paint the grill body colored. It will give it an SS-like appearance, and looks very cool imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

grill options Empty
PostSubject: Re: grill options   grill options Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

grill options
Page 1 of 1