GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rescue Roady in action

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Rescue Roady in action   Empty
PostSubject: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

There is a downside to everyone knowing you own a big car and a tow dolley. I had to rescue Laird's '96 Bonneville over the weekend. This was weird, the power steering pump broke off the engine! No kidding! 65K miles car. Car was running, and heard a THUNK, and then then BONG BONG BONG - Check Gauges light comes one. Thought the belt was just thrown, but nope. The PS pump is held on with two bolts. The bottom bolt is broken off in the block. The upper bolt looks way too short, only sticks out of the pump by about two threads. Weird!

ANYWAY Roady to the rescue. Picked up the Bonny and took it to my buddies shop, where my Cutlass is. Keep it in 3rd and the Roady tows like a champ! On the highway unless you look in the rear-view mirror you don't even know there is a car back there. Love these wagons!

Rescue Roady in action   IMG_20120311_135149
Rescue Roady in action   IMG_20120311_135122-1

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 am

here I thought you were actually going to rescue a Roady!
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 am

WIERD thing to break in a WIERD way. I'm betting it was replaced before and not tightened very well.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:46 am

What color are the seats!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 am

Bewber wrote:
WIERD thing to break in a WIERD way. I'm betting it was replaced before and not tightened very well.

It looks to me like the upper bolt was WAY too short...it was not broken off, but only about two threads stuck out beyond the pump housing. The bottom bolt is broken clean off into the block. Will have to drill and tap it. The pump spins freely, as does the alternator and all the other pulleys I spun. I was really shocked when I opened the hood and the pump was laying back behind the engine on the subframe. Weird!

I tend to think that pump was replaced sometime in that car's past and whoever did it lost the upper bolt and just found one that barely fit to put it back on.

You never know! Laird was in Dallas all last week. Glad it waited to break until he got back to Austin. I'm a good friend and all but don't think I would have driven to Dallas to rescue him! Smile

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:49 am

Don't drill and tap it. Weld a nut onto it and it'll back right out.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:00 am

BigBlackBeaSSt wrote:
What color are the seats!!! Shocked

Hahaha, that Bonny only has 65K miles on it, and has PERFECT charcoal leather interior.

Rescue Roady in action   WeekendWorkBonny011

Rescue Roady in action   WeekendWorkBonny010

Rescue Roady in action   WeekendWorkBonny012

Gee Laird I'm sure sorry someone stole your interior at the shop......... Wink

-Mike

Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:03 am

Never leave your car on the side of the road Laird. Mike lives in a terrible neighborhood!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

Bewber wrote:
Don't drill and tap it. Weld a nut onto it and it'll back right out.

It's broken flush in the block, or head....hard to see, it mounts to the lower back side of the engine, between the motor and the firewall. I hate FWD... I took it to my house first, thinking I could fix it for Laird, but after looking at it decided it needed to be done on a lift...to save my sanity.... Ran it to my Vietnamese friend Troung's (Tron) shop. He's got an apprentice working for him named Sam, kid's right out of high school and wants to be a mechanic, and he put Sam on it....with Troung looking over his shoulder.

Fine with me!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rescue Roady in action    Rescue Roady in action   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rescue Roady in action
Page 1 of 1