GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?

Go down 
+12
93RMW
jimbeau
MrBuick
buickwagon
DBeaSSt
Sprocket
COL
94Woody
Lynol
95BRMW
jayoldschool
cadillac kevin
16 posters
AuthorMessage

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Empty
PostSubject: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm

So I know the Drawtite 41509 has been discontinued for awhile, and so has the Reese equivalent. I also know that Hidden Hitch does not make anything for our cars, but check this out:

I went on U-haul's website, and they said they didn't have any, but they are looking for a vehicle to use to make a hitch for us. You just have to go to their R&D center in Tempe, AZ. Cool, but... not something I can do. So I asked one of my other friends who is more well versed in this area to help me check it out, and I found this:

http://ecustomhitch.estore.catalograck.com/v5/Members/lookups/partdetail.asp?hdnPN=4830067&hdnSts=0&hdnUK=52857&hdnQ=1&hdnLK=844&hdnLT=1&hdnDCIPT=3390&hdnMM=72099&hdnVQ=595&hdnAPFlag=&hdnWN=1&hdnSuperCategory=Exterior+Accessories&hdnCategory=Towing&hdnSubCategory=Trailer+Hitch&hdnPartType=Trailer+Hitch&hidSearch=true

The Draw-tite 75146. It is listed for Caprice WAGONS, and is indeed a class 3 hitch.

Thoughts? Anyone ever heard of it? I can't afford to order right now, but I do need a hitch in the near future (like, before the end of summer to pull a trailer to my new apartment), sooooo.... if this exists, I just may order it.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Ray, I have on old (90s) uhaul hitch off a 77 catalina wagon. Would this bolt on your car?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm

That's a good question. I do not know.

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 pm

It will/should. Same frame 77-96.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 pm

Sweet.

Anyone have opinions on the one I linked above?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Interesting find, it would be very interesting to see if they actually ship the hitch after its been ordered.

Edit:
Also noticed the installation instructions list the Fleetwood which is not compatible with the wagon hitches. The hitch in the manual is a bolt together style like the one on my 9C1. I have a feeling its listed wrong and only fits sedans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Huh. That's weird. It also lists the Catalina wagon, but not the Caprice, RMW, or OCC?

Guess they suck. Bah.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Here's my input. February of this year my step-Dad called literally over 20 places all that claimed to have the Class III wagon hitch "in stock", almost every place he called had the wagon hitch listed, but when asked to VERIFY if they could actually get them, the answer was no, they had been discontinued. Everyone just drop-ships from the factory, so "in stock" meant nothing more than "it's in our computer". Actually, the place you've linked is one of the first places he dealt with. In addition to not having the hitch he paid for and not having any other suggestions (besides a class I/II), they told him a car like that could never tow anywhere near 5,000 lbs. Anyway, the last place he tried was U-Hauls Hitch Central in AZ. At first they told him NP, they could find one. Then two weeks later they said they could not find one, but if he wanted to go out to AZ, they would make one for free. Long story short(ish); I found him a nice used one off the SS forum. Then I proceeded to stock up for myself lol! Someday I will get the LT1 wagon I want to tow wagons with, and someday I will get a camper for my OCC. As for the one you found, I dunno about it. Like Dave pointed out it lists the Fleetwood, and other sedans that a wagon hitch wouldn't normally fit. When my step-dad was searching for hitches, I told him to look for the Custom Cruiser in the fitment list since the OCC was only a wagon model, there's no room for confusion. Here's a pic of what a Draw-tite/Reese Class III wagon hitch looks like BTW. This is the one I got from Fred while in FL.
Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? C3wago10
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:00 pm

A quick Google search brought me to this site for the 75146. Says it is for sedans only.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/75146.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Well damn it all.

Somebody get out to Tempe, AZ. lol
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 am

Lynol wrote:
Here's my input. February of this year my step-Dad called literally over 20 places all that claimed to have the Class III wagon hitch "in stock", almost every place he called had the wagon hitch listed, but when asked to VERIFY if they could actually get them, the answer was no, they had been discontinued. Everyone just drop-ships from the factory, so "in stock" meant nothing more than "it's in our computer". Actually, the place you've linked is one of the first places he dealt with. In addition to not having the hitch he paid for and not having any other suggestions (besides a class I/II), they told him a car like that could never tow anywhere near 5,000 lbs. Anyway, the last place he tried was U-Hauls Hitch Central in AZ. At first they told him NP, they could find one. Then two weeks later they said they could not find one, but if he wanted to go out to AZ, they would make one for free. Long story short(ish); I found him a nice used one off the SS forum. Then I proceeded to stock up for myself lol! Someday I will get the LT1 wagon I want to tow wagons with, and someday I will get a camper for my OCC. As for the one you found, I dunno about it. Like Dave pointed out it lists the Fleetwood, and other sedans that a wagon hitch wouldn't normally fit. When my step-dad was searching for hitches, I told him to look for the Custom Cruiser in the fitment list since the OCC was only a wagon model, there's no room for confusion. Here's a pic of what a Draw-tite/Reese Class III wagon hitch looks like BTW. This is the one I got from Fred while in FL.
Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? C3wago10

This is exactly what my hitch looks like too!
Just installed.
Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? F36306655
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Some one want's to pay the gas, I'll be happy to vacation in Tempe, buy some desert relic and tow it home with my new free hitch, which I will give you when I return.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 pm

lol I know, right? Sad
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:47 pm

This is actually engineered to be a class IV hitch, but both use the 2" receiver:

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 01_left_and_right_brackets

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 02_clearances

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 03_test_fit

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 04_tacked_ready_to_weld

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 05_final_welds

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 06_Mounting_nut

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? 07_finished_result

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Hitch_dimensions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Buickwagon,thats some impressive metal work and welding.Wish I was able to weld like you do
but just cant anymore.More pics when you get done please!
Jim
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 11:32 pm

It's done. Been on the car for close to a year now. The only thing missing in the last picture is the trailer light connector. It's a combination 7-pin and 4-pin. (I have something like 7 trailers around here -- some have electric brakes, reverse lights etc. and need the big connector. Some are just utility or boat trailers with the plain, flat 4-pin). (For an added bonus, I ran #8 wire to the 12v pin and have a winch on a trailer hitch so I can haul my dang kids out of the ditch in the winter)

Anyway, non-welders could take the dimensioned drawing to a fab shop. I offer it as an option for those that need it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 12:39 am

Whoa. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
MrBuick

MrBuick

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:03 am

I knew they were hard to find, but I didn't know they were THAT valuable. Makes me even happier that I got a clean Class III Wagon hitch at the U-pull it. For... and here's the kicker, $17 out the door. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 2:35 am

^^^Whaddya know... a NEW way to make some money, eh?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 7:55 am

That's some nice work there. I'm currently have a co-worker weld new mounting arms onto a rusted out hitch for me, no way is it going to look that good when done!
Back to top Go down
93RMW

93RMW

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm

jimbeau wrote:
^^^Whaddya know... a NEW way to make some money, eh?

I too was pleased to find that my hitch is a class III. Don't want to sell it ....yet.. Smile

As soon as I did, I'd end up regretting it and needing it on the same day.

It may come off when I lower the car though, it already hits a lot of entrances.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:51 am

Pavement clearance is why I never thought much of a hitch. They scrape everywhere.
Someone a few years back posted a pic of his geniosity, where the hitch receiver was centered in the middle of the bumper. It looked great.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

Okay I Just found this It appears that their website still has class III/IV trailer hitches available for our wagons.

http://ecustomhitch.com/lookup.html?PartTypeTree=Trailer+Hitch&hdnLT=1

if that link doesn't work try going to the home page and then clicking the link for trailer hitches and put in the parameters for your car. I used 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate

http://ecustomhitch.com/
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:34 pm

scoffman wrote:
Okay I Just found this It appears that their website still has class III/IV trailer hitches available for our wagons.

http://ecustomhitch.com/lookup.html?PartTypeTree=Trailer+Hitch&hdnLT=1

if that link doesn't work try going to the home page and then clicking the link for trailer hitches and put in the parameters for your car. I used 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate

http://ecustomhitch.com/

ECUSTOMHITCH like many others may still list a CL III hitch but do not actually have any instock. I have talked to them in person as well as Reese and Drawtite. All will refer you to a part number of a 1 1/4" class II hitch. That is not adequate for much more than a small utility trailer of bike rack.

No one has these new that I have found. One sold a couple weeks ago on ebay for a couple hundred bucks.
Finding one used is still possible but they are heavy and shipping could be $75-100 depending on location.
I bought one in GA NOS from a closed GM dealer and shipped to OR for a total of $200. The fabricated hitch in this thread looks great. Still costly if you consider materials and labor.
Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? DeamOCC4MAR2012021
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Materials were around $100. The grade 8 bolts had the biggest sticker shock. Most of the time revolved around the measurements and set up. With the measured drawing, that part is eliminated. Care must be taken in regards to distortion control of course -- welding tends to warp joints and must be allowed for and/or prevented, but that's pretty standard stuff for any welder worth his salt.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: welder   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:07 pm

buickwagon wrote:
Materials were around $100. The grade 8 bolts had the biggest sticker shock. Most of the time revolved around the measurements and set up. With the measured drawing, that part is eliminated. Care must be taken in regards to distortion control of course -- welding tends to warp joints and must be allowed for and/or prevented, but that's pretty standard stuff for any welder worth his salt.

I asked two welding and fabrication shops near me about building a hitch. Neither wanted to accept the liability. I think I could have found someone eventually but found my drawtite in GA.
They were both capable worth their salt welders. It is unfortunate they were too afraid of being sued.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:37 pm

^^^ if you offer to pay cash and there is no paperwork = no lawsuit...
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 12:58 am

I wonder what welded product might exist that does not carry some risk of damage or injury if a weld fails? They must have a very limited clientele.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 6:47 am

Sprocket wrote:
^^^ if you offer to pay cash and there is no paperwork = no lawsuit...
Sorry, today you would be wrong. We have allowed lawyers to infiltrate things to the point that there is no such thing as "no liability".
It's: "Do it yourself and play dumb, or don't do it at all."
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Buickwagon,

I wonder if you have a digital file you could email me with your drawing? My email is jefferywdennis at gmail dot com

Thanks, Jeff

Last edited by bamalongroof on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2013 9:21 pm

bamalongroof wrote:
Hi Buickwagon,

I wonder if you have a digital file you could email me with your drawing? My email is jefferywdennis at gmail dot com

Thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff,-

First off, I suggest you edit your post and munge your e-mail address similar to what I have done in the quote above. Spammers run spiders on websites like this searching for e-mail addresses they can use or sell -- once they find one, your inbox will be filled with offers for male enhancement products and proposals from unscrupulous Nigerian bankers.

As for a digital drawing, all I have is a scan of the dimensioned sketch I did. You can download that at:
http://picturehosting.verhey.org/RMW_hitch/hitch_dimensions.jpg

I hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks I'm sure this will help me I intend to tow a travel trailer and would like something a little over built. Jeff
Back to top Go down
luckygino

PostSubject: Anyone able to put a 2" hitch purchase or fag together?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 am

Please let me know if anyone has actually purchased or fabricated a 2" receiver for the GM whales (ie Buick Estate 1996)?

Thank you in advance, I will post anything I can find/do.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm

luckygino wrote:
Please let me know if anyone has actually purchased or fabricated a 2" receiver for the GM whales (ie Buick Estate 1996)?

Go to page 1 of this thread and you will see the pictures I took while I "actually fabricated" the 2" Cl. IV receiver currently on my wagon. I even included a dimensioned sketch.
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:26 am

Hi, buickwagon, seems your picture server is down right now or something...
Anyway, Thank You!
I saw your drawings and fabricated a similar receiver a year ago. Had to make some minor changes, but your drawings and pics were of enormous help, and it came out pretty nice. Towed with it many times last summer.

Now I should find some time to take it off for cleaning and some proper paint; I just painted it with some spray bomb a year ago, and it already has surface rust pretty much all over after the winter...
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:20 am

andy caprice wrote:
Hi, buickwagon, seems your picture server is down right now or something...

Odd, it seems to be up now.

Glad to hear it was of use for someone. I am curious, what changes did you have to make?
Back to top Go down
andy caprice

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 5:59 am

Yes, I too can see the pics now.

The design was great, so nothing too big...

I didn't find suitable angle bar, so I made the sides from 6mm plates welded together with some small triangles to keep them perpendicular. I put two triangles instead of one to the both ends of the long rectangular pipe just to be sure.

Also I removed the front (IIRC) left attachment bolt hole and made two smaller holes instead. There was a towing eye attached with two bolts under the frame rail. I have a '95, guess only the later years had these towing eyes at the rear and front of the car.

On the big plate under the receiver and on the wire socket bracket I just used some of my own creativity. Have now means for making rectangular holes, so made ones with a hole saw.

I also made a mistake to fabricate the receiver pipe from a pipe that was 50mm x 50mm inside, so I had to grind it bigger inside and sand the 2" x 2" (= 51mm x 51mm) hitch pipe down outside. That was a major PITA, but I still have enough material thicknesses left for the trailer weights this car will ever tow, and have a nice snug fit between the pipes. Also, if I made it again, I wouldn't use a 5" angle grinder to make parts from 6mm plate, but buy the parts pre-cut, at least if I again made the side angle bars from plate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?   Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Class 3 Hitches... do they really not exist?
Page 1 of 1