GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another trailer hitch thread...

Go down 
+2
autoarcheologist
redcaddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

Another trailer hitch thread... Empty
PostSubject: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 2:35 pm

ALL Righty then,

So as not to muddy up the other threads already active about trailer hitches for wagons, I'll start this one.

Over the last several day's I've spent many hours on the phone and on line, looking for a hitch for my '89 Boxie.

I can now state, with great confidence, that there is not a Class III (2" X 2") hitch, that will fit a "B" Body GM Wagon, available new, any where in the US or Canada. There is no manufacturer that will sell any parts to build such a hitch. U-haul, in Arizona, told me they never made a class III for the B Body wagons, (there was one on my '78 Impala, that still had the U-Haul sticker on the hitch, when she was taken from me by a drunk driver in '86.)

What do you guy's think of the idea of purchasing a Class II (1.250 X 1.250) hitch and replacing the small receiver with a 2" X 2", as well as adding some triangulation bracing to the cross bar and side plates?

Is it worth the trouble, or am I wasting my time and building something dangerous?

I had considered fabricobbling a class 3-4 hitch from scratch, but the time and materials soon outrun the cost of modifying the smaller one.

Does anybody know the difference in attachment points between the two hitches?

It's about time to exercise my "red neck engineerin'" skills and solve our problem...

Let the games begin.

(As usual, sarcasm, humor and smart azzed comments are solicited, and will be graded for originality and content)

Thanks,

Paul

Back to top Go down
autoarcheologist

autoarcheologist

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Go look at a class 2 hitch on eBay, eTrailer, wherever. Then look at the class 3/4 in the other threads here for the whales. There is a huge difference in strength and size.

If anything I have considered taking a class 3 sedan hitch and cutting it up and welding it.

But at the moment I am talking to a local race shop about building 2 of the hitches that were sketched out by a forum member based on a proven design.

That's what I would do if the other forum member doesn't build more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jewelorjalopy.com
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 11:52 pm

The attachment points are the same. I took the hitch off my 1983 Electra Estate Wagon and bolted it right on my 1992 RMW. Unfortunately, it went with the car to the wrecker.

A couple of notes to consider: When I got the 96, I designed the one referenced by autoarcheologist to fit it, but when rabalc built a run based on those measurements, MalibuSSwagon found they would not fit his 92 car properly.

The difference is the location of the exhaust pipe. Apparently the right hand pipe of dual-exhaust LT1 wagons is further outboard than the single pipe of the earlier models, even though the LT1 cars actually have a narrower fuel tank. The mounting points on the frame are the same, but the earlier exhaust is further inboard on the right hand side and strikes the hitch frame. I did not realize this when I came up with my design. (In my defense, I was trying to stick with readily available stock instead of stamping out custom shapes with a 30 ton press).

j2rossit has both a 96 and a 92 and tried his rabalc-built version on both. He says the hitch frame needs to be 1" narrower, and the mating surface 1" wider on the right hand side to fit the 92. That would sneak it between the larger fuel tank and the exhaust pipe. He also noted that body and frame tolerances can lower the rear bumper cover as much as 3/8", and recommended lowering the drawbar sleeve that amount to compensate.

Back to top Go down
beertestr

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:50 pm

buickwagon wrote:
The attachment points are the same. I took the hitch off my 1983 Electra Estate Wagon and bolted it right on my 1992 RMW. Unfortunately, it went with the car to the wrecker.

A couple of notes to consider: When I got the 96, I designed the one referenced by autoarcheologist to fit it, but when rabalc built a run based on those measurements, MalibuSSwagon found they would not fit his 92 car properly.

The difference is the location of the exhaust pipe. Apparently the right hand pipe of dual-exhaust LT1 wagons is further outboard than the single pipe of the earlier models, even though the LT1 cars actually have a narrower fuel tank. The mounting points on the frame are the same, but the earlier exhaust is further inboard on the right hand side and strikes the hitch frame. I did not realize this when I came up with my design. (In my defense, I was trying to stick with readily available stock instead of stamping out custom shapes with a 30 ton press).

j2rossit has both a 96 and a 92 and tried his rabalc-built version on both. He says the hitch frame needs to be 1" narrower, and the mating surface 1" wider on the right hand side to fit the 92. That would sneak it between the larger fuel tank and the exhaust pipe. He also noted that body and frame tolerances can lower the rear bumper cover as much as 3/8", and recommended lowering the drawbar sleeve that amount to compensate.

Do you or j2rossit have pics of the pipe clearance issues on the 92? I'm kicking around the idea of making a run of hitches, and would like to make them fit 77-96.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm

I don't but j2rossit posted some here: https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t10451p120-class-3-4-hitch
Back to top Go down
beertestr

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Found it, thanks. Now looking for the modded sedan hitch that was converted to wagon. I think it's a matter of widening the spacing..
Back to top Go down
seanu

seanu

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 9:02 pm

I have a sedan hitch that I made spacers to widen it for the wagon rear frame. It worked great and is especially tight and up close to the bumper.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 pm

I'll be watching your progress. Thanks for taking charge of the problem!
Back to top Go down
seanu

seanu

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2014 4:31 pm

I would hit the salvage yards...I have a CIII wagon hitch waiting for another wagon that I picked from a salvage yard for $40. Also a good start would either be a sedan hitch (like I did on my first wagon) or...a hitch for a C10 (or something comparable) and then modify the mounting points.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Sedan class III   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Does anyone know what the difference between the Sedan hitch and Wagon hitch are? I suspect just the mounting plates on the side. I wonder if those could be cut off and different side plates fabricated.

Seems easier than fabing the whole hitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another trailer hitch thread...   Another trailer hitch thread... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another trailer hitch thread...
Page 1 of 1