GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012

Go down 
+4
Bewber
Cadet57
phantom 309
lakeffect
8 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:18 am

Please make use of this thread for questions and comments concerning Wagonfest Nationals 2012 in Geneva NY.

Please use the other "Yup I'm Coming" thread to say you are attending.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am

too many wagonfest threads,.

its almos 90 days till wagonfest,.
already you are looking for 13 volunteers to run what was going to be a simple affair,.
now it has auctions,. giveaways, food,.garbage clean up etc,.
$10.00 to cover costs?? donating excess to charity?
what charity?
I was under the impression it was everyman for themselves,

sounds like its become a major structured undertaking again,.

JMHO

Nick
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:54 am

To everyone here, I listened to many people, both on the forum publicly and privately. Nick, Your ideas were listened to, as were many others. Not all ideas could be implemented, but all were considered. Although ideas and solutions to simplify are greatly appreciated, some things by their very nature need organization. Some things were able to be simplified, some could not be. The "every man for himself" theory doesn't work well in that regard for group activity.

The scope of the event is to try to both attract and keep enthused as many attendees as possible. Not everyone has the same interests. Alternatives to the same 'ol stuff, such as the Friday night car show requires no effort on anyone's part, as it is already in existence, and well organized by others. Live music , lots of cars, lots of food. It was simply a matter of letting people know so those that want to participate or view, could do so.

Nick, I read all your comments and understand you mean them with your full passion and spirit, and you mean them to be honorable in intent. This is a quote from you in the original Wagonfest thread from a few weeks ago. "We all just need to participate, clean up is easy with all hands on deck"

I agree with you totally. Volunteers are the backbone of any event. I'm sure others will step forward if you are unable to. If you decide to come and have the opportunity or willingness to volunteer we will warmly welcome your help. Hopefully, you'll be one of those hands on deck.

If someone doesn't want to go to Watkins Glen, or don't like an event t-shirt, that's up to them. No cost was built into the $10.00. fee, so should not be an issue for anyone. If you don't want either of those things as part of your Wagonfest experience, simply don't contact Mike or Bewber. Couldn't be easier or require less effort, since it requires no effort at all. Seemed pretty simple to me.

Charity. Yes, consistent with years past, IF there is a profit, it will be donated. Advantage will not be taken of fellow members and attendees. (Fred used to give donations to the local track team.)

Last edited by lakeffect on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:05 am

I,m out,..

there was a general consensus of opinion regarding a simple event,, it,s right back where it was,.
Then it'll be you we will all be beholding too,. then it will be you tired and frustrated after playing nursemaid to a bunch of wagon folks,.and there'll be 3 pages of diatribe about how its such a lot of effort to "run" the event, then folks will be obligated to be grateful for services rendered etc,.
If 30 cars show up at $10.00 a piece,.$300, for a tent?
2 page flyer describing the car? you want to know about my car , ask,.. if i want to know about yours i'll ask,.

nah,.
heard and seen it all before,.
i liked the florida hotel parking lot get together, every man for them selves,.

enuff from me,.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:17 am

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 am

lakeffect wrote:
To everyone here, I listened to many people, both on the forum publicly and privately. Nick, Your ideas were listened to, as were many others. Not all ideas could be implemented, but all were considered. Although ideas and solutions to simplify are greatly appreciated, some things by their very nature need organization. Some things were able to be simplified, some could not be. The "every man for himself" theory doesn't work well in that regard for group activity.

The scope of the event is to try to both attract and keep enthused as many attendees as possible. Not everyone has the same interests. Alternatives to the same 'ol stuff, such as the Friday night car show requires no effort on anyone's part, as it is already in existence, and well organized by others. Live music , lots of cars, lots of food. It was simply a matter of letting people know so those that want to participate or view, could do so.

Nick, I read all your comments and understand you mean them with your full passion and spirit, and you mean them to be honorable in intent. This is a quote from you in the original Wagonfest thread from a few weeks ago. "We all just need to participate, clean up is easy with all hands on deck"

I agree with you totally. Volunteers are the backbone of any event. I'm sure others will step forward if you are unable to. If you decide to come and have the opportunity or willingness to volunteer we will warmly welcome your help. Hopefully, you'll be one of those hands on deck.

If someone doesn't want to go to Watkins Glen, or don't like an event t-shirt, that's up to them. No cost was built into the $10.00. fee, so should not be an issue for anyone. If you don't want either of those things as part of your Wagonfest experience, simply don't contact Mike or Bewber. Couldn't be easier or require less effort, since it requires no effort at all. Seemed pretty simple to me.

Charity. Yes, consistent with years past, IF there is a profit, it will be donated. Advantage will not be taken of fellow members and attendees. (Fred used to give donations to the local track team.)

i really must remember to quote posts when i reply,. editing on your part has certainly skewed the looks of this conversation,much different than your original post lashing out at me for my opinion,.

I like my quote out of context,.but yes,I'll volunteer to feed myself and clean up any mess i make, hows that? Introduce me to any participant that leaves a mess for anyone else to clean up,. and i'll see if i can help them see the error of their ways,.
Now you have stepped up and made this into a clone of previous events,.. democracy rules.

oh,. and FYI Fred had an agenda regarding his benevolence towards the track team,.

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:33 am

There was no trying to lash out at anyone Nick. If it felt that way to you, then that was a good reason to edit it, so my meaning was not ill taken. You have my apologies if you felt that way.

Seems to me I tried to clarify things, and if I felt the original statement wasn't the best explanation I could offer to people, then I tried make it more clear via an edit. I was trying to answer your concerns to the best of my ability.

Yes, Fred's agenda was that he had a connection to a local track team. The point was, he didn't pocket any profit. It was strictly by donation with Fred. No one was forced to give the charity money.

There are a number of lives shattered by wars in every community. There are few veteran outreach programs in the area. Myself, being a veteran (USAF) would be prone to donate in that direction, if any profit is reached.

Nick any help that you may be able to offer will be greatly appreciated. As you noted there a several simple things that need help, the registration desk, counting votes for awards, the auction (I won your item last year). So in any way you are willing, I will be most appreciative of your help.

Thanks, Dave Buchholz

Last edited by lakeffect on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am

I don't see why the efforts for organization have to be considered as anything other than an option for folks.

Nick, I see where it's needed and appreciated because there WILL be a WF noob there who doesn't know the area, where to eat, where NOT to order clams, etc. They may not feel included enough to just join in when a group of existing friends make a dinner plan, or they may not know where a place is, and nothing would suck more than driving X or XX hours to an event to get to better know the community, only to then be/feel left out.

"Breaking bread" is always a great community builder, which as far as I ever knew, was the point of the big picture. It seems the organizational issues you are having is with Dave not only making the plan to eat together, but to also resolve the unavoidable follow up questions of what to eat, when to eat, who's cooking, who's cleaning, etc. As the event host/coordinator, Dave has created a plan that will make the weekend easy for everyone to stick together - or more importantly - to help locate the group if someone new to the area should have trouble and show up later than they expected.

That said, I really don't see why participating in the planned events would be requiste for showing up, hanging out with friends, and seeing old people nap behind a boring old car. So I kind of agree with you too, Nick. Outside of the courtesy of chipping in a couple bucks for pavilion rental because you're going to the event and it's an event expense - I personally don't see any reason why a guy can't show up, eat a sangwidge from his cooler, drink his own pop, not buy a crappy shirt from Bewber, and just do his own thing without it being considered combative.

Hell, that was my ENTIRE plan last summer when I invited everyone up for the B2TB event. Hungry? You should eat. Thirsty? You should buy yourself a water, etc. And we all had a GREAT time.

Dave, thank you very much for your efforts. Please don't take offense if we have a wagon brother who wants to attend on their own terms.

I also was under the impression that if there was ever a profit from a WF, the cause it'd be donated to was the following years WF costs.

Am I like wicked off base on this?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the input John.

In answer to your question about past practice of donating profits to a following years event, I honestly don't know if that has ever come into conversation that I'm aware of. I guess I felt more comfortable donating it away immediately, and not holding onto any profit Wagonfest may create.

I'd rather not hang on, keep it or save it with for the possibility of using that money in regard to a future event. What if it never happens? Just doesn't feel right to me.

Dave Buchholz
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Take any extra money and go buy yourself a steak dinner or two, that way you got something for your effort,

I,m a little jaded from constantly having to be grateful to volunteers that want/need a pat on the back,.

Volunteers like to be in charge,.and automatically assume that anyone coming to the event needs to be babysat.

The assumption that anyone will feel left out because they didn't bring any food?,.do you really think that would happen? A newcomer to wagonfest not offered a beer or a drink? or a bite to eat if they wandered over as food was being eaten?
who would be that rude? At every wagonfest i can remember i,ve always been offered drinks or snacks at any bodys' spot that i stopped at,.. IF they had their own stuff,
(unless they subscribed to the idea that i,m the devil,.. and they know who they are)

I,ve certainly given out my fair share of corona's over the years,.

Would it be so hard to have it put up in lights that folks need to provide for themselves?

The wide eyed, helpless throngs of people that are set to descend on wagonfest need to be provided for right? *yawn* how many cars last year??

It seemed so simple at the time,.everyman for himself.

It worked in Flint,.
It worked in Florida

Bless all volunteers if they are truly volunteering for selfless reasons, and not their own needs.

Nick
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Well I know I am going to be showing up with Val and 2 of the kids on saturday. We planned on just bringing our own cooler full food and drinks. Just to hang out. I was planning on going the track but not sure I'm going to do that this year. I just might take Val and the 2 youngest to the beach area on friday and just sit back and enjoy a nice quiet day with my family. Nick you can join us if you like, but you will probably be at the track since my TBI won't be there, if you come. LOL!

Just my .02 cents

Quick note: things can change from now until then so who knows.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Nick, I remember the Coronas you've given me. If I had more, it would have dimmed my memory of them. Kinda like if a person remembers Woodstock, They weren't really there.

Gimme another Corona, and it will be all the thanks I want or need.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 am

lakeffect wrote:

Gimme another Corona, and it will be all the thanks I want or need.

No.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:06 am

Ah Crap. I guess now I'll have to by my own to go along with the steak dinner or two.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 am

dave i know we got a tent for wf does it have chairs or should i bring chairs for my family? thanks john
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am

My understanding is that there will be picnic benches under the tent. If you want to sit near your vehicle, a few extra chairs would be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:03 pm

thanks dave just wanted to know what to pack. have you seen the weather for sat.?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:36 am

Not yet for any realistic forecast. It's Monday.. too far out yet to be accurate.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 am

As of right now, Friday and Saturday are in the high 70's to low 80's with scattered thunderstorms, 30- 40%. As Dave said It will change at least a bit by then. Use the link below to get the most up to date weather forecast for Geneva, NY.

Mike

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Geneva+NY+USNY0548:1:US
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

Dave, we'll bring the cameras and take plenty of pictures.

Tom
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 9:17 am

thanks.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:39 pm

just wondering what evertone plans for friday at wf are. whos going to the drive in burger place? if anyone was going to geneva for car show? i am planing on getting to microtel around 4 to 5 pm
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 pm

One issue is that the Watkins Glen track may be getting paved. thunder storms will be rolling trough tomorrow which could easily hamper those efforts. Unknown at this point, or at least unknown by me.

I'm thinking of hitting the car show downtown as an alternative. Hundreds of cars, three stages for music.. big event.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012   Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions and comments thread for Wagonfest Nationals 2012
Page 1 of 1