GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Digital Cluster swap?

Go down 
+2
Cadet57
scoffman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
scoffman

scoffman

digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Empty
PostSubject: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey Guys,

Has anyone thought of swapping in a digital cluster from a Oldsmobile Custom Supreme from the late 80s to early 90s into a 1991-1993 roadmaster wagon?

digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Digidash_cutlasssupreme

I really like the way they look especially the different guages. I'm thinking it wouldn't take to much modification to fit in the dash. I don't know how the electical connections will have to be modified yet but I'm still researching the idea. I know a few people have swapped out their instrument panels but I could only find refernce to a digital swap that was done I think by lakeffect. I don't want to drop the coin on a new digital dash when I like the look and price of the Olds custom digital dash.

Any advice on the demensions for these two panels? I have found reference online but nothing offical yet (GM) that they are both considered the UB3 instrument cluster. However one is digital and the other not. They both appear to have the same guages displayed on them so I'm thinking the inputs will be similar. Meaning they get their data/signals from the same types of sources (i.e. sensors, controller).

The thing I'm having a hard time finding out right now is how the 1991-1993 odometer is incremented. Is it done by a signal from the vss, or PCM? Sorry but the only time I've looked at how speedometers/odometers worked was with a 1963 VW Super Bettle; which was a manual cable that was run through the driver side front axle and protruded through the dust cap. Boy when you locked up your brakes the speedo when to zero. I'm pretty sure our wagons don't rely on something that old school right?

I think it would be totally Bitch'n to have a digital instrument cluster, especially one with all the different guages that provide real time display instead of stupid dummy lights when things get triggered.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:21 pm

scoffman wrote:

I think it would be totally Bitch'n to have a digital instrument cluster, especially one with all the different guages that provide real time display instead of stupid dummy lights when things get triggered.

You mean like this?

digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? 425956_10150609585828553_505618552_9203621_1101843478_n

Installing a RM/OCC/9C1 cluster would be loads easier than trying to make that Olds one fit.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:42 pm

^^^Yeah, but it doesn't have near as much eye candy.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:46 pm

We await your project posts. Would look nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 4:37 pm

I have full analog gauges in my OCC and these digital gauges look awesome.They appear to be
the same width and height as my gauges as well.
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
scoffman wrote:

You mean like this?

digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? 425956_10150609585828553_505618552_9203621_1101843478_n

Installing a RM/OCC/9C1 cluster would be loads easier than trying to make that Olds one fit.

Yeah well one digital guage is not as cool as six of them. It might be easier to swap in that dash, but I'd put up with the difficulty for a complete digital instrument cluster. Plus I could change the film to a different color like red.

Those things were so cool back in the 80's. Man you were styl'n if you had digital guages, and this one has the best ones I've seen. They're like digitally displaying the analog guages man. I'm seriously thinking about this mod. It looks like it's close to the same dimensions. plus I looked up the instrument panel on parts.nalleygmc for a 1991 oldsmobile cutlass, and it specified the code as UB3 for the digital with tach. I'm hoping it will drop right in dimensionally without having to modify the dash panel too much. First things first though, I gotta buy me one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Shawn go to ebay and enter GM digital dashes and check these out.Not cheap and most require
exchange but quite a variety to choose from!
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

man! those would look awesome in a b body. post your findings and other research. this is something i would consider doing aswell!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Adding an Intellitronix (Nordskog) was relatively easy into a 93 dash (Caprice).

digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? ShammoosDigitalCluster
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital Cluster swap?   digital cluster - Digital Cluster swap? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digital Cluster swap?
Page 1 of 1