GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diagnostic Location

Go down 
+5
silverfox103
buickwagon
gmtech
COL
Robert 96
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Robert 96

Diagnostic Location Empty
PostSubject: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 12:29

I know I'm dumb but where is the location of the plug in for the Diagnostic Computer thingee? I just had to ask.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 12:31

Bottom of the dashboard, to the right of the steering column.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 12:37

Robert 96 wrote:
I know I'm dumb but where is the location of the plug in for the Diagnostic Computer thingee? I just had to ask.

Don't feel dumb. I found the thingee first and had to ask what it was.Diagnostic Location Oldsunderdash004
Dick
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 14:33

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 16:03

Robert.it would only be dumb if you DIDNT ask where it was!Around here all questions are
answered with a little friendly ribbing which is mandatory but still answered!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 16:06

FYI... The "thingee" is formally called an ALDL or DLC depending on what year you are talking about. The ALDL is the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link and the DLC is the Diagnostic Link Connector.

The ALDL was used on most of GM's car, as shown in the picture above, until about '94 when they slowly started to phase-in the OBD II style connector, DLC. So the 1994 car could of had either the ALDL or DLC. Pre-94 it was almost guaranteed that you would find the ALDL style connector.

Some of the 1994 vehicles that have the newer style DLC are still ODB I compliant, but in 1996 all cars are ODB II compliant and will have the DLC connector. The pin locations in the connector are standardized to meet ODB II regulations. As an example; pin location #2 is for Class 2 communication, #4 and #5 are ground terminals and #16 is battery power all the time. As a word of note, DO NOT USE the ground and power from this connector for any aftermarket accessories.

Also in 1996 the location of the DLC also became standardized in its location, it has to be within a reasonable reach from the drivers seat. Prior to ODB II, the location of the ALDL could have been located anywhere on the vehicle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 16:10

Paul you are starting to sound like a certain "know it all" and thats not good! lol!
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 16:14

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeWed 1 Aug 2012 - 16:18

More like Mad
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 6:03

Thanks for the info. You can never have too much info.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 9:51

I'm with Robert 96. I thought the idea of a forum was to share knowledge.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 10:38

Paul is a valuable resource to the forum. As he is a new member, people are just realizing that he has a lot to offer. When he talks, I listen. Until recently I didn't know that he was Jarrod's brother.

If it wasn't for Paul, I would still be trying to figure out my fuel pump problem. He laid out everything step by step for me. At the very end of his post, he gave me one last "plumb"--check the grounds. Bingo!

No doubt, sometimes the procedures and step by steps get heavy; but if I had a problem, and knew his number, he would be on my speed dial.

tom c.

Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 11:05

Knowledge is power, and Paul is very knowledgeable which makes him an asset to this community. The man has given up countless hours of his life to be knowledgeable and that knowledge is now part of this community. So why not pick his brain without any extra snide remarks.

Jim, I know you were probably just messing with him but written words have no expression and people can read things the wrong way or differently. Lets just all get along,..... oh yeah, I'd like "World Peace" too LMFAO!
Back to top Go down
Robert 96

PostSubject: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 11:53

I'm sure Flasheroo is just kidding around. He's a good guy. Trust me!
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 13:43

Robert, I know he was and is.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 16:09

Flasheroo is an idiot.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 18:46

jimbeau wrote:
Flasheroo is an idiot.

You take it for granted that you are a totally unique person, different from everybody else on Earth. And you understand that everybody else is also unique.
On a most basic level, identical twins are fascinating because they challenge this truth. They are unique people, of course, but they're eerily like each other.
Consider the extreme case of the "Jim twins." Identical twins Jim Lewis and Jim Springer were only four weeks old when they were separated; each infant was taken in by a different adoptive family. At age five, Lewis learned that he had a twin, but he said that the notion never truly "soaked in" until he was 38 years old. Springer learned of his twin sibling at age eight, but both he and his adoptive parents believed the sibling had died. The two were finally reunited at age 39. The similarities the twins shared not only amazed one another, but researchers at the University of Minnesota as well. The very fact that you had twin siblings separated at birth bearing the same name, both 6 feet tall and weighing exactly 180 pounds is pretty incredible. But there's more.
In her book Entwined Lives, Nancy Segal lists the following shared characteristics:
As youngsters, each Jim had a dog named "Toy."
Each Jim had been married two times -- the first wives were both called "Linda" and the second wives were both called "Betty."
One Jim had named his son "James Allan" and the other Jim had named his son "James Alan."
Each twin had driven his light-blue Chevrolet to Pas Grille beach in Florida for family vacations.
Both Jims smoked Salem cigarettes and drank Miller Lite beer.
Both Jims had at one time held part-time posts as sheriffs.
Both were fingernail biters and suffered from migraine headaches.
Each Jim enjoyed leaving love notes to his wife throughout the house.
Of course, before you start thinking about science fiction movies with pod people, the Jims, like other identical twins, are not carbon copies of each other. Some obvious differences were discovered during their participation in the "Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart," including:
Each styled his hair differently; one Jim wore it combed straight, hanging down over his forehead (think Beatles circa 1961) and the other Jim wore it combed back and sported sideburns (think Johnny Cash circa 1957, but with longer 'burns).
One Jim more clearly conveyed himself through speech, while the other was better suited to writing.
While both Jims had been married twice, one Jim had taken vows with a third wife (called "Sandy")

Both men own body building gyms.

Diagnostic Location Photo-1542

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 20:08

Great story, Lorne!
but Gordon is still an idiot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeThu 2 Aug 2012 - 22:56

Great story Lorne but when jimbeau calls me an idiot its because he loves me and cant express
his feelings any other way.He is hoping some day that I might return this love but SORRY
jimbeau but it aint happening. lol!
Jarrod your brother understood my little ribbing completely and he knows I meant no harm!
All is good !
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeSat 25 Aug 2012 - 17:15

Flasheroo and Jimbeau.... seperated at birth?
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitimeSun 26 Aug 2012 - 0:07

Oh great,just what I needed!Already have 2 straight brothers and now I have a GAY brother
named jimbeau,,wonderful!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diagnostic Location   Diagnostic Location Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Diagnostic Location
Page 1 of 1