GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bad Vibration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I've had a bad vibration that's been getting steadily worse. I thought it MIGHT be the drive shaft because when I put it into gear, I can hear the u-joints make that awful CLUNK. However, the driver's side front tire has started (ok it's been wearing for a few months now) to wear pretty badly so now I'm thinking front suspension/steering. I finally got a chance to get under under there this weekend to take a look. I grabbed a hold of the front tires they wiggle about an 1" in either direction. It looks like the bushings on the center link are bad because everything else seems pretty tight. However, if I change that, how will that effect the rest of the front end? Will I have to replace everything else too? Is this one of those, "might as well replace everything" situations?
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Might as well, if you're going to do it yourself. Cadet57 showed me a price list for all the front end stuff from Rock Auto, and IIRC it came to a bit under $200.

Plus, you'll get a much better driving car out of it.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 3:45 pm

last summer I replaced the entire steering linkage on my wagon and adjusted the box while everything was off. Made a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
yakko

yakko

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

I just did my 9C1 and the front end is tight! Now I'm going for the lower swing arms and putting in the 5/8 ball joints. I have not done the steering box though.

Randy
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Might as well, if you're going to do it yourself. Cadet57 showed me a price list for all the front end stuff from Rock Auto, and IIRC it came to a bit under $200.

Just went and looked at it. $250.63. But that included new shocks and springs too. Take those out and you're well under $200, even with shipping.

Mark, if you want, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the shopping list I used.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 1:30 pm

yakko wrote:
I just did my 9C1 and the front end is tight! Now I'm going for the lower swing arms and putting in the 5/8 ball joints. I have not done the steering box though.

Randy

Unless you are racing, the 5/8 ball joints are overkill. You will have to swap out the lower arms, and spindles as well to get the 5/8 inch BJs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad Vibration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Vibration   Bad Vibration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Vibration
Page 1 of 1