GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Empty
PostSubject: Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?   Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Ever since I bought my 92 OCC It's had a vibration like a wheel is out of balance.  So far I've replaced the front rotors, rear drums and swapped wheels with my SS that has new tires that ride great at any speed.  Tonight I lifted the rear end up and found the rear right lower control arm to be mangled, so I swapped both out with a pair off a 9c1 (left side was only slightly bent, changed anyways).  While there I ran the car with it's wheels in the air and noticed the right side has a 'high spot".  See the video below, it does a better job describing what I'm seeing.
So my question is, if I do have a bent axle, could the bent control arm be related to whatever caused it?  Overloaded maybe?  I don't think it's relevant at 178k miles, but the posi is completely shot.

Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? 20160317_181059_zpsozc00xzw
Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? 20160317_181104_zpsvksegard
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?   Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 7:44 am

All things are open when a shunt is involved. A bent arm or axle is certainly a possibility, especially as it was hit on that side.

But a more likely scenario is that the bent control arm was done by careless lifting - from experience - it is quite easily done if you place the jack wrong.

(Overloading in and of itself shouldn't bend them, the forces aren't applied there.)

While it looks bad, the out of round on the tire is less of a concern.

We're not getting a good look at the wheel rotating in the video, it would have been better to see what that is doing.

That being said, we did have an Impala with a tweaked rear axle flange, it would it manifest itself by a soft chirp at very low speeds, but it was not noticeable while driving.

Since a second set of tires didn't change anything, you've probably answered your own question with the comment in the video of how bad the rearend sounds.

- J

Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?   Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2016 11:25 am

The rearend was notably chatty. More so when you were looking at the drivers rear tire. Maybe the mic was a little closer? I agree with Jay on the bent arm,someone just had a brain fart while trying to jack it up.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?   Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input, and I have an update on this. As the last easy to swap out rotating part is the drive shaft I swapped it with the one in my RMS that I know rides excellent at all speeds. Took it up on the highway and it looks like that took care of all but the slightest shake, and I'm happy with that. On the other side, I took the RMS out and it shakes like the wagon did so it's definitely in that shaft. I had replaced one U-joint on it that felt a little odd when turning it but nothing changed. I'll have to get this thing balanced I guess.
When I had it off the ground I ran it again and can see the rims themselves are spinning totally straight (shoulda got that on video). The rear is still noisy but I have another axle I wanted to swap in with a good posi anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?   Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vibration that won't go away, damaged axle?
Page 1 of 1