GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing trans

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 6:16 pm

How easy should it be to turn the tailshaft when the trans is in neutral? Trans is out of the car, and hooked to the engine.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Should be very easy especially if you've got a yoke engaged to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
sherlock9c1

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Easy one way, difficult the other way. The screeching noise is the lo roller clutch.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I put the drive shaft on it, and now I can get a grip on the thing. It rotates fine, only went one way to check. Installed the LO5 with LT1 cam, large bore TBI, and trans today. I have a few more days to work, but it is on the home stretch.
Back to top Go down

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 pm

If the computer adapts OK you should have a pretty nice running wagon Fred.Fingers crossed
ol man and good luck.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 am

The computer has a "burned" chip in it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 am

UPDATE...I got the engine and trans installed. For those of you contemplating a new trans mount, you are in for a shock. The ones offered by almost all aftermarket stores DO NOT FIT. They are too tall. The OEM trans mount is only about 1 1/8 inches tall. The only one I found that was workable came from NAPA. It is not the one suggested (I will get the part number). The dealer is the only place to get the correct one, IF they still stock them.

I had to remove the spacers, and the cat support to get it to fit. I also had to get 40mm long screws because of the shorter mount heigth. Fortunately I am going to run without the cat, so it does not cause me an issue. If I find a correct mount, I may replace the parts later, if necessary.

Other than spending a morning, and half of the afternoon fighting with the improper trans mount, and trying to find a suitable replacement, things are going well with the transplant.

Next up, is installing the wiring.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 am

I am almost done. I am mapping out the exhaust and having it fabricated on Monday. The oil pressure sender interfered with the headers, and I had to relocate it along side of the block. O2 sensor is also relocated to the exhaust pipe just beyond the driver's side header. I also have to make a patch cable for the O2 sensor, because of the distance to the original wire.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

It seems like I do 15 minutes of work, and chase parts for the rest of the day. I am 3 weeks past my projected deadline. I am on the second exhaust pipe, and it is supposed to be done Monday. Then it is pretty much filling fluids, and setting timing.

Does anyone know about how much trans fluid escapes when you pull the engine, and trans as a unit, including removing the pan? I would like to get close before I start it.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 4:53 pm

The engine and trans are in and working. The fuel pressure appears to be on the low side, but it may still be the gauge. It ran at 6 psi, and should not run below 9. It now shows 11, and if the gauge is wrong I have about 14. It took about 6 1/2 quarts of fluid to bring the trans back up to "full cold". I have to check it hot for a correct reading.

I had to make a custom oil dipstick, because the new tube required two bends 90 degree apart. I twisted an OEM dipstick into a spiral, and marked it at the current oil level after starting the engine once for a "full" reference. I had to cut about 3 inches off because of the shorter tube.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 8:36 pm

Well the project is pretty much done. The engine is great, and I had to have the trans rebuilt. I got a good deal, and am exceedingly happy with the drivetrain. I was going to put a Transgo kit in it, and bought it, but the rebuilder did a custom job, and I now have an unwanted Transgo kit for sale. The engine has a lot more power, and the trans is wonderful. I have a couple of nit picky things to do, but I am on the road.

Now for the glass and roof.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Replacing trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Replacing trans   Replacing trans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing trans
Page 1 of 1