GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wagon Shocks

Go down 
+4
Krzdimond
68BBWGN
DBeaSSt
OldGuy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
OldGuy

OldGuy

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 am

I'm a new member here and I need your help. I have a 94 Caprice Wagon and need to replace the rear shocks.
I was wondering what shocks you guys run. Last year I put Monroe Air Shocks on it and I can't stand
all the bouncing anymore. Mad Thank you for your help.

OldGuy
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:58 am

Did your wagon have factory air shocks? Are you wanting to keep the air ride or don't care?

My Fleetwood had air ride in the rear. Replaced those shocks with ACDelco replacements, I liked them. But then one of the things I liked about the Fleetwood was that soft ride.

I had a Roadmaster (96). When I bought it, the air shocks had been removed and replaced with Bilstiens. I liked the ride in that too, though it was different than my current Roadmaster which has the factory air shocks still.

Confused yet? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
68BBWGN

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 am

I use AC-Delco premium gas shocks. They ride like a dream.
Back to top Go down

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm

I have gabriel air shocks in mine and I hate the ride, way too mushy and bouncy. I hope to solve this with a different set. I bought a set of lowering springs and performance shocks that came off another wagon but I don't remember the brand of shocks. I know there was a pair of Edelbrock shocks but I can't remember what the other pair was. I couldn't pass up the deal even though they are slightly used.
Back to top Go down
OldGuy

OldGuy

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. It did not have air shocks from the factory, I put the air shocks on
to raise the rear some, but that did not work. Looks like a gas shock then.
Tks,
OldGuy
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm

OldGuy wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It did not have air shocks from the factory, I put the air shocks on
Tks,
OldGuy

Well, in that case, I'd suggest Bilstiens if you're up for the price tag. Nice firm ride on the wagon but not harsh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Bilstiens if you have the $$$$. Monroe SS #550012 for the fronts and 550013 for the rear. Ride similar to the Bilstiens, but at almost 1/2 the cost. I love mine.
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:17 pm

OldGuy wrote:
Tks,
OldGuy
Welcome!

I agree with the Monroe Severe Service shocks. Also, if you want the rear up, they make a "cargo" spring for the wagon but I can't find the part # off hand. It is the same height as the stock wagon spring but thicker coils so it doesn't sag as much. Stiffens the ride up a bit though... If you wanted to lift the rear slightly, you may also want to try the Airlift helper bags. They go inside the coils. I have them on my wagon, although it is lowered, it helps, especially if I'm loaded in the rear.

Joe
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:22 pm

93wgn wrote:
I agree with the Monroe Severe Service shocks. Also, if you want the rear up, they make a "cargo" spring for the wagon but I can't find the part # off hand.
Joe

Monroe SS # 550052 for the coil overs
Back to top Go down

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Get the Bilstiens. I have 120k miles on mine, and they are the same now as a new Edelbrock!!!!

In the grand scheme of things, they are a great buy!!!

Get the SS fronts, and the soft rides revalved to SS spec for the rears.

D.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID

IMPALADAKID

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
Bilstiens if you have the $$$$. Monroe SS #550012 for the fronts and 550013 for the rear. Ride similar to the Bilstiens, but at almost 1/2 the cost. I love mine.
Monroe Severe Service 55012 and 55013 are great. I have them on my wagon and love how they feel. They loose that bouncy feeling you get with factory. For the money you can't loose.FTW cheers
Back to top Go down
Tuffluck1975

Tuffluck1975

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 pm

How about on a dropped wagon? Looking at 2/3 combo springs. I am sure the stockers under mine are shot anyway. Will the Monroes work or are they gonna bottom out? Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 pm

OldGuy wrote:
Tks,
OldGuy

How much air are you using with the Munroes? I have used air shocks in the back of the wagon since day one as I used to use it to tow our trailer. I found that if I forgot to deflate the shocks after towing, severe bounce would be the result. Before going to the trouble of changing, try airing up or down to see if that helps. Mine work best at about 30 lbs. but I have the Gabriel version. The Munroes may be different. On the other hand, the shock portion of the shock may have gone south.

Bill
Back to top Go down
93wgn

93wgn

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Tuffluck1975 wrote:
How about on a dropped wagon? Looking at 2/3 combo springs. I am sure the stockers under mine are shot anyway. Will the Monroes work or are they gonna bottom out? Any recommendations?

My wagon is lowered all the way around with Votlands and Monroes with airlift helper bags in the rear. Ride is firm and crisp and doesn't bottom out on the shitty Jersey roads... Handles like a slotcar too!
Back to top Go down
https://gmlongroof.4umer.com
Tuffluck1975

Tuffluck1975

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 10:43 pm

Will I need any adapter to add the rear shocks? Mine was factory air, will the monroes just bolt right in?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 1:09 am

Tuffluck1975 wrote:
Will I need any adapter to add the rear shocks? Mine was factory air, will the monroes just bolt right in?

Yes they bolt in but you will have to get the adapter kit to marry them to the factory air. Don't have the part # but it is listed in the book along with the shocks.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:05 pm

Tuffluck1975 wrote:

Plug and play
Back to top Go down
Tuffluck1975

Tuffluck1975

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

I got monroes but not the ss's. Funds tightened up and I had to have new shocks, so I got the stock non air replacements. not too bad, but a little softer than I woulda liked. I notice some sponge in the rear, but i am thinking that can be cured with in spring bags. At this point anything is better than what I had which was nothing, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wagon Shocks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagon Shocks   Wagon Shocks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagon Shocks
Page 1 of 1