GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SEM DYE issue......

Go down 
+5
silverfox103
Gastt
JoeT
jayoldschool
Sprocket
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

SEM DYE issue...... Empty
PostSubject: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 pm

So as part of the 9C1 cluster swap in Ruby, we needed the 9c1 Surround which are like hen's teeth. I've been sitting on a blue one for a couple years, but the interior is grey. I have used the duplicolor medium gray on other interior parts with excellent results and color match.

Today this is whay I got on the surrond. Some parts are perfect, but I got this dimpling on alot of the surrond. I'm assuming it's from not prepping the surface correctly (used soap and water with a rinse and towel off), but wasn't maybe as complete as I thought.

SEM DYE issue...... 104_0039

The paint beaded away from these spots in the first 30 seconds. Unfortunaely, I shot the whole piece and it's out in the sun drying.
What can I do to correct it?

thanks.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Yep, that's surface contamination. Scuff, degrease, repeat. Use brake cleaner.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

P\Somebody probably used silicone on it.
Clean it until your arms are ready to fall off, then do it 5 more times.

Brake cleaner is great; I've also used paint prep (PrepSol) with good success.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm

There are some good videos on YouTube from SEM that explain in good detail how to use their products.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Sprocket

I've used SEM quite a bit, they have steps you should do. One is SEM soap and the next is SEM prep or whatever they call it. PrepSol is probably close to the same. Clean it good and use some type of solvent.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 pm

I used paint reducer to quickly wipe the surface before using the SEM paint for plastic (it is not a dye). Do not get it on anything you are not going to paint. I have done whole dash pads with excellent results. Just make sure the humidity is low, or it will get an odd flat color. The 4565 dark maple red turned pink. Since then I have taken note of the humidity, and the color is true. Do not use it on cloth or carpet unless you are just refreshing the color. It will make the fabric stiff and rough.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm

I've used it on cloth seats with great results. You just have to brush the nap after the color coat is dry; softens it right up!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks guys, I just wanted to know what to clean it with. thanks Fred I will note the humidity (was high today) as I noticed it looked kind of dull. Guess I will clean it in a couple days when it's completely dry and then wait for a cold front to dry out the atmosphere
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Officially annoyed now. Used paint reducer as I didn't have any brake cleaner. Waited for a low humidity day (54% vs the usual 90%) per Fred and just tried to shoot it again......

Better, but still getting smaller spots of the same thing. GRRR, now I probably don't have enough left in the can to spray it again (another 9 bucks).

I would have thought for sure the reducer would have removed all the grease. Guess I'll use some dawn (ala Crovo) and then some brake cleaner.... after it dries. sniff sniff
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Gentlemen,
Question does anyone have the SEM number for Very Dark Saphire?
SEM DYE issue...... DeamOCC4MAR2012004
I added some door lights. The ones in the frond doors match but the back are tan. I painted with some blue I had but they are hidious. Need the right color or will have to paint black.
COL
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

SEM recomends that you scrub down the parts to be coloured with HOT soapy water, rinse with hot water and repeat. A trick I use should cat eyes appear I use my finger and rub the area with the wet SEM and that seems to disolve what ever was causing the cat eyes, the SEM is very forgiving it cures flat so don't be afraid to play with it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 pm

COL wrote:
Gentlemen,
Question does anyone have the SEM number for Very Dark Saphire?
SEM DYE issue...... DeamOCC4MAR2012004
I added some door lights. The ones in the frond doors match but the back are tan. I painted with some blue I had but they are hidious. Need the right color or will have to paint black.
COL

The can I have is number 17193 and its listed as Navy and below that it says GMC 173B,hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks Jim!!

COL
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 pm

i had dyed my console and used the sem soap and green scotch brite pad to clea it. i can look for my soap to see if it has a part # if u want
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm not using SEM per SE, but the duplicolor medium gray from advance which is a perfect match for the grey at least.

Damn it all, yesterday was 54% humidity (very low for Florida) and today it's raining all day Sad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Always thought all OCC wagons had the front door lights as standard equipment, mine has them.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 pm

There may have been some with the courtesy lights deleted. The RMs occasionally have blank panels in place of the front door courtesy lights. I can not say that I have seen an OCC without the courtesy lights, but it is possible. I do know that most OCCs have blank panels in the rear doors. I have never seen one with factory courtesy lights in the rear doors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SEM DYE issue......   SEM DYE issue...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SEM DYE issue......
Page 1 of 1