GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gauge issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bucky53

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 1:46 pm

A little help please. Dark blue car, dark blue interior, and tinted windows. I can't see the gauges except for speedo and odometer/trip unless I turn the parking or headlights on. How can I wire them to come on when the ignition is on regardless of headlight switch setting? TIA.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 am

Usually the digital display is brighter when the lights are off. I have an issue on my car where the display fades out or goes black for a random length of time. I think it's just the cluster going, it's a common issue. Sometimes when it goes out I turn the headlights on and it comes back, sometimes not.....
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 12:06 pm

well if it's anything like the digital portion in my moms 03 buick century there's a capacitor or something in the circuit that likes going out which causes the digital screen to fade out, sadly the only fix is to replace or rebuild the cluster.
Back to top Go down
Bucky53

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 pm

I guess i wasn't clear on my issue. The led part for the odometer and the trip meter as well as the analog gauges for oil, amps, fuel, and temp all work fine. The dimmer switch controls the light level on each of them properly when the parking or head lamps are on
The issue is that due to GMs love for black background clusters and the low light level in the car during daylight hours without the parking lights or headlights on only the leds are readable. What I want to do is find a power source so that the cluster is lit at all times when the ignition is on so that I can read the 4 analog gauges w/o having to run parking or head lamps. The wiring schematic on this site and others is vague or I am just not reading it right. I need to identify the wire that feeds power to the cluster lighting so that I can tie in a 12v on circuit.
Thanks for reading.
I've had several Buicks where I had to solder the circuit board in the cluster so that the odometer displayed. This is not my issue.
Back to top Go down
goldwolfnhn

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 11:06 pm

just drive with the headlights on all the time, I do.
Back to top Go down
Bucky53

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 6:35 am

It looks better without the lights on. You did trigger an idea. It will probably be easier to put a cut off in the light circuit than to figure out how to spark the gauges. I'm retired with nothing better to do anyway.

Sprocket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gauge issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gauge issue   Gauge issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gauge issue
Page 1 of 1