GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Finishing a clear coat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Finishing a clear coat Empty
PostSubject: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:57 pm

A month or so ago my DCM RMW had a run in with a forklift at work, but only the wheel of the lift grazed the PS quarter panel. Being that body work had to be done and my paint was failing I had gotten the car repainted. A friend of mine sells auto paint for a living and recommended a shop he does business with a lot, a small custom's type of place. He gave me a good price on a repaint with the damage repaired and I went for it. I picked up the car a week ago and he mentioned he still needs to polish the clear once it's warmer and it had a chance to cure.
Now here's my question: Should I have him just buff it out and call it done, or get a shop to wet sand and polish the car? I want this thing to look as good as possible when done. It looks good now, but does have some "sharp" points on the clear. He painted it with a base/clear setup. Is this something I can do myself?
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I wouldn't do it myself. I would have somebody wet sand and buff the paint. I honestly wouldn't have accepted delivery of the car until that was completed.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 pm

How bad is the orange peel? (most factory paint has some, while GOOD repaints have none)

I use Trizact 1500 wet on a 6" DA palm sander to remove the orange peel and then Trizact 2500 to remove the 1500 marks before polishing.

It can be done, but unless you have done this a lot, I would have the shop do it.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 pm

After reading about how to do it online, I'm not doing it myself.

The orange peel isn't too bad, it's mostly visible on the D-pillars. The rest of the car just has those sharp points (is there an actual name for those?). The paint job came out good for the $850 I paid for that and body work.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 pm

dust nubs?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finishing a clear coat   Finishing a clear coat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finishing a clear coat
Page 1 of 1