GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wearever platinum brake pads????

Go down 
+3
Gastt
Cadet57
94wagonss
7 posters
AuthorMessage
94wagonss

Wearever platinum brake pads???? Empty
PostSubject: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm

So I think I had the crap stock pads and they would black out the wheels in a matter of days.
I decided to change them out with some ceramics. Now in the past I put autozone ceramics on my camaro and the wheels never got dirty at all.
With that in mind I bought the wearever platinum from advance auto thinking my black wheels were a thing of the past. Here is how they look after I soaked them in brake clean which is some thing I thought I would never do.
Has any one seen this and do I have some other issue?
Wearever platinum brake pads???? Image10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 pm

If one front wheel is much dirtier that the other,means you have a dragging caliper on the
dirtier side.Never used brake clean on a rim before and not sure thats a good idea for your
wheel coating.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 am

What about a set of dust shields? Mr.Gasket makes a set of 15" universal ones. Bought a set and they work well.
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 am

I think dust shields are ugly especially on such an open wheel like that. I put AC Delco ceramics on my Fleetwood with chrome factory wheels and vogue white wall tires. Made a significant difference.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Ceramic brake pads should not create enough dust to coat your wheels. I have some Raybestos ceramics on my car and have never had any brake dust issues, in 10k miles.

Wearever platinum brake pads???? AT_BoxPads
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm

That looks like pitting, is it?

New pads; slightly different friction area knocking some surface rust off the rotor onto your wheels?

FYI, some ceramic pads don't work well on big heavy cars at the Watkins Glen Thunder road tours, or any kind of hard driving for that matter.

Mike
Back to top Go down
94wagonss

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 am

I think I had those raybestos pads on the camaro.
Both wheels look the same and 2 weeks ago I used a scotch brite pad and it barely took it off and more has come back. I think the pads are crap but 60 dollar top of the line pads should not be this bad. That is why I wonder if it is the rust like you mentioned or something else.
Back to top Go down
94wagonss

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 pm

So I had to use a scotch brite pad and the polish to get all the black off. I noticed some slight pitting so I started with 800, then 1000 then 1500. I used rubbing and polishing compound and it looked new again. I should have used 2000 grit because the shine is not as clear as the backs.

Well, now I have put 500 miles on this week and it is back. This is what it looks like after I cleaned it with wheel cleaner. This is complete BS so I have to change the pads they must be junk.
Wearever platinum brake pads???? Image11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 am

Just read your post again and if your pads were in a brown and black box,they are sh*t.I put
a set on my 91 OCC and they can coat my chrome BBS wheels in about 500 miles.Never again
will I use their brake pads.I have a set of used slotted zinc coated rotors going on when I replace these pads shortly.I am done with this chinese JUNK!
Back to top Go down
94wagonss

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Just to keep it up to date.
Still have the same pads and put the dust shields on it.
They get dirty fast but the dust comes off easier. They are still getting the black spots that stick but at a slower rate. 11k miles on these pads so far.
I still want to try new pads but I think I might be better to put a whole brake upgrade on it since it seems I am hard on brakes. It is hard to stop this giant thing.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 10:07 pm

One thing that comes to mind is the quality of the rotor, as someone mentioned. A good quality rotor should not shed itself like that. Now, a cheapo overseas rotor may shed all day long and cause the condition you are experiencing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 pm

My rotors are GM and were in excellent shape at the time these pads were installed.Prior to their installation I had next to no brake pad dust.
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 am

My experience with the ceramic brake pads is late model vehicles only. 
Flashroo wrote:
My rotors are GM and were in excellent shape at the time these pads were installed.Prior to their installation I had next to no brake pad dust.

There may be a compatibility issue due to the material used to in the making the rotor and it's unable to withstand the hard ceramic pads. I'm certainly not the expert in rotor composition, but I can venture a guess!
Back to top Go down
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 pm

So what is a good brake pad to use on our big heavy wagons? I am not to concerned about brake dust,I want to know which pads give the best stopping power? tks ed
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Hawk HPS pads, kinda messy but they feel nice.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 pm

I have these pads on the Fleetwood (but stock wheels) White walls stay pretty clean...I have Hawk (blue box) pads on my wagon though.

I'd get in the habit of wiping my front wheels down after any long drive. (will make life easier)  I don't miss those bare aluminum wheels at all!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Roadagon

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 8:49 pm

thanks guys,200OZ ,What do you mean the brake pads are messy,are you saying they
shed alot of dust? ed
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Roadagon wrote:
thanks guys,200OZ ,What do you mean the brake pads are messy,are you saying they
shed alot of dust? ed

Yeah, sorry, they threw out a bit too much brake dust on the wheels for me.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wearever platinum brake pads????   Wearever platinum brake pads???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wearever platinum brake pads????
Page 1 of 1