GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

noob rear spring questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

noob rear spring questions Empty
PostSubject: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 am

I sub contract for lowes installing doors and windows, I did a job last week and had four aluminum storm doors with my everyday tools in back. My 91 yacht was dipping like crazy, I went over some bumps and sqautted out. My speed to get to site came to a more careful approach. storm doors wt approx 75 to 100lbs, so worst case I had aprox 500 in back. I have load leveling airshocks, so question is are my springs just sprung and I need to replace? I dont want to lay this car on the ground, but was wondering if there is a airbag that properly fits within the springs? Or eliminate springs and go straight to an airbag? My fear of that is blowing a bag and being stuck. I will pull a landscape trailer in a few weeks, compl loaded maybe 2000lbs. And may do this regulary, just not sure whats best this is a daily driver. Neutral
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:23 am

oops wrong section
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 1:05 am

How many miles are on the car?

You can get the Moog CC623 cargo springs for the rear. They work wonders, and are comfortable for daily driving, too.

Alternatively, yes, there is also an in-spring bag kit available through AirLift. You can basically decide how you want to do it: either manual fill, a pump, or set them up as part of the stock level-ride system. I don't know about those though, so someone else will chime in shortly.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 am

I put in Airlift 1000 air bags (not shocks) in the stock springs to pull a 22' Airstream. On a long (300 mi) trip one failed. I later got Moog CC623 cargo springs. The Airlifts were warenteed so I got a new set too.

They work great together for every day and towing. I think I would start with the springs. I am probably over kill with what I ended up with, but it works for a load. how does it ride empty? Mine wallowed. Like a boat. I got 4 Bilstien shocks. Rides great. There are cheaper alternatives but I forgot the favorite of many non Bilstien guys.
Mike (8x11) may jump in here on this one too.
Dick
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 am

COL wrote:
I put in Airlift 1000 air bags (not shocks) in the stock springs to pull a 22' Airstream. On a long (300 mi) trip one failed. I later got Moog CC623 cargo springs. The Airlifts were warenteed so I got a new set too.

They work great together for every day and towing. I think I would start with the springs. I am probably over kill with what I ended up with, but it works for a load. how does it ride empty? Mine wallowed. Like a boat. I got 4 Bilstien shocks. Rides great. There are cheaper alternatives but I forgot the favorite of many non Bilstien guys.
Mike (8x11) may jump in here on this one too.
Dick

That's not to say that Mike is Cheap. He just bought different shocks and likes them.
Dick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Those would be the KYB gas adjust shocks,about 160 dollars for a set of 4!Pretty impressive shock for the money.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

thanks guys, as far as the load leveling do I just pull the fuse? I will prob start w the springs and go from there. but hey 160 for a set of shocks isnt bad. space ghost has about 180 on him so before towing I will service the cooler and fluids. thanks again
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 11:59 pm

" On a long (300 mi) trip one failed." Actually it was 3000 miles.
Dick
Back to top Go down
OldGuy

OldGuy

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Put my Moot cc623 springs on today, wagon sits nice now. Thanks for help.
Back to top Go down
poppawoodie

poppawoodie

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Im getting there, went to orielly, s. They offered two one pair for sedans and a variable rate pair one was 90 the other was 70. The 70 dollar pair was rated for heavier loads, not sure why they were cheaper though?
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 pm

How many miles on the load-leveling shocks?

My guess is that they're about worn out. I went with Bilstein shocks and modified the compressor to operate the Airlift 1000 bags.

See this thread for information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noob rear spring questions   noob rear spring questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

noob rear spring questions
Page 1 of 1