GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
phantom 309

phantom 309

tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Empty
PostSubject: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 10:09 am

The tail gate would open as a door,. but wouldn't unlatch to lay down like a tail gate,.

So off with the panel,. and i see as usual the clip has broken,.

tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Null_zps90b7cce2

the rod slides in the slot, the clip holds the rod in there, clip breaks rod falls out latch doesn't work,.
This pic is taken with the gate laying down like a tailgate on a pickup with the camera sideways a little looking thru the access hole,.
tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Null_zpsb05c4133

If you have access to a pick n pull great,.but most of us don't, and wagons are getting harder to find,.

so,..remove the rod completely,..bend the rod so it stays in the slot like so,. and all works good again,.eliminates the clip,. the rod will likely wear out after a couple of thousand tailgate openings,. Laughing

tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Null_zpsd15a1645

It's a quick easy fix,.i was shown this by someone a long time ago, who knows wagons waay better than I do and sells them for a living,. Wink

Nick
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:10 am

Nice fix. I wish I'd known about that before I bought a replacement clip from someone online.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:11 pm

I fixed mine and did something else just not sure right now.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:04 am

That is an interesting fix, but could cause a rattle, if you care about rattles.

I have an abundance of the clips for sale. There is another one located under the inspection cover along the top of the gate, in another slot. It also has a tendency to disintegrate. Before I began hoarding the clips, I fixed one with a push nut. You just have to be careful to not get it too tight.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 9:24 am

Nice rig job! Also good to know those clips break...more pocket parts next time I go yarding.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.   tail gate only opens like a door,. fix. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tail gate only opens like a door,. fix.
Page 1 of 1