GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bud89GT

Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Empty
PostSubject: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:08 pm

So, the boy tells me, "Dad, window won't go up." I knew, after scanning all the stuff on this site prior, I'd have plenty of material to figure it out.
Popped switch panel from driver's door and pulled out switch assembly. Pulled silver switch cover off, and cleaned everything out. Switch looked in good shape ( no broken "auto down" tab). Then I powered up system and hit switch. I could hear a clicking noise when actuating both ways, but no window motor noise or window movement.

Going to try multimetering and see what I get.

Cheers,

Bud
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Broken roller?Sounds like you have power if you hear it clicking but no movement.
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Broken roller?Sounds like you have power if you hear it clicking but no movement.

Yup, it's a very faint clicking, but not in the switch itself, rather from behind door itself. Thanks for troubleshooting help Flasheroo.
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Ok, switch is good. 10-12v to both leads when actuated both ways.

step 2...time to pull door panel off...groan. stay tuned.

Bud
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Step 2 complete...

Man that door panel is a total mess. Plastic is cracked everywhere and falling apart.

Anyway, when switch it actuated, I'm getting power right up to the window motor connection. No window motor whine or indication of movement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Sorry,should have warned you about those fragile door panels.Someone here with more expierience than me will be able to help you out shortly.
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Sorry,should have warned you about those fragile door panels.Someone here with more expierience than me will be able to help you out shortly.

Thanks for the unnecessary apology Flasheroo. What I didn't clearly state was that was the panel's existing condition prior to removal. I had my super-duper door panel tool and everything, yet it didn't matter because the moulded clip retainers were mostly shattered, and there's multiple stress cracks where the upper and lower part of the panel join. That certainly explains the rattles. Just another thing to snoop for in the JY!
Back to top Go down
Bud89GT

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 6:43 pm

FIXED!!!

Yep, in the end it was a simple mechanical issue. The short metal channel that bolts to the inner door skin was loose (both bolts). It was just enough movement from the channel piece that the rollers were binding.

Another problem solved via process of elimination.

So, now that I'm in there, I'm spraying all the tracks and rollers with white lith grease.

Thanks gang!

Bud
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"   Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driver's window won't go up...hear switch "clicking"
Page 1 of 1