GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trouble installing Bilsteins

Go down 
+2
jayoldschool
jon7190
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jon7190

jon7190

trouble installing Bilsteins Empty
PostSubject: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 pm

I bought some Bilsteins and am having a bit of trouble installing the right front. It seems that the lower mounting holes are set too close together. I get the bolt on one side in, and the other side's bolt cannot be threaded in straight. I tried both sides first and moving around and still no luck.

Strangely enough, the left front went in ok. A little tight maybe, but I did it first before I knew the right had a problem. Compared to the old shocks, the holes do look a little closer. Seems very odd. Anybody else ever run into this?

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Just slot the holes on the shocks.
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 9:59 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Just slot the holes on the shocks.

You mean drill them bigger?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

No, but that will work, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I think the word is elongate one of the holes until both screws go in easily.If you prefer elongate both of the holes a little at a time thereby splitting the distance and centering the shock in the hole.Take your time and dont go too fast.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 am

If it makes you feel any better, the shock mounts on the Konis I just bought are slotted open like forks from the factory. Open 'em up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 12:17 am

Boy are you movin on up Joel,Koni shocks!Do they go on a wagon or something else?
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Yeah Joel, what are you putting them on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Come on Joel,I know of only one other person running Koni,s on a B body?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 5:37 pm

They're going on a go-kart for my son...geek clown 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 pm

A shifter cart?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah... a shifter kart.
Back to top Go down
jon7190

jon7190

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Just to update, I did get the shocks in and didn't have to modify anything. I let it sit overnight and came back the next day with a clear head. I did a couple test fits without attaching the upper post and found if I did the front bolt first and positioned it all just so, I could get the bolt to go in. So, it does fit, just barely and with no room for error!

I like the way it rides. Much firmer. I thought maybe too firm at first, but it is growing on me.

The car did have the original shocks, at 83k miles.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Be glad you didn't go with the Monroe Severe Service shocks - those are even stiffer than the Bilsteins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 am

I love my SS shocks. In all 3 of my Caprices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 am

Toms9C1 wrote:
I love my SS shocks. In all 3 of my Caprices.
Must live where the roads are still in nice condition!Use to brag about the roads around my home but not anymore.By the way welcome to the group
Tom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 pm

I fibbed, 2 1/2. I need to buy 2 rear for the 4doorvett. Feels odd with the KYB's in the Aft.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:25 pm

I plan on putting the monroes on the RMW and KYBs on my 91 OCC.Going to sell the 95 RMW in early fall.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 12:58 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Be glad you didn't go with the Monroe Severe Service shocks - those are even stiffer than the Bilsteins.
x2 I removed my Monroe SS2's for KYB Gas-A-Justs, and MAN how much smoother the car rode, while still handing much better than stock!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Yep, Koni's on the front of my 93 wagon...
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:24 pm

I was keeping it quiet until WF13, but since that's past...

I sold my '94 RMW (now extensively renovated complete with new transmission) to my brother so it's prowling around Virginia Beach, VA. I picked up a '95 RMW tan leather limited loaded with 64k out of Atlanta late last year and kept it in storage until I got the '94 completed and gone. Same color (tan) so nobody really noticed until I pointed it out. Even 95BRMW and Lynol showed up and looked at the "big mirror conversion" for awhile until they realized the whole car was different. Laughing 

The Koni shocks are definitely softer than the Bilsteins. I turned up the rebound damping to 75% and that seemed to do pretty good; still a tiny underdamped but very smooth, almost stock, but with much less bouncing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 4:47 pm

Dutch Pete wrote:
Flasheroo wrote:
Yep, Koni's on the front of my 93 wagon...
Okay,I know of 2 people running Koni,s on B bodys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trouble installing Bilsteins   trouble installing Bilsteins Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trouble installing Bilsteins
Page 1 of 1