GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Resonators?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
UlysesEverittMcGill

UlysesEverittMcGill

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 am

I did a search and didn't find an answer to this specifically so here goes.

Can anyone that has removed their resonators describe how big of a difference it made, pros and cons?

I added a pair of Summit Racing's flowmaster knock offs to my Roadmaster. It sounds better but not quite wht I was looking for. Just wondering if removing the resonators would be too much.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am

I removed mine when I put a Pypes Street Pro Impala system on my RMW, with the exhaust exiting just after the rear wheels. It was too loud imo, and I ended up mating the stock tail pipes (w/resonators) to the Pypes ota pipes. It's still pretty loud, but not obnoxious, and I like it much better. It's not an apples to apples comparison though, as I added the full tail pipes too, and that will make a difference in sound as well.
Pro's- louder
Con's- louder

Mike

Last edited by 200OZ on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UlysesEverittMcGill

UlysesEverittMcGill

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am

If I do it I will just remove the resonators and replace with pipe. I'm gonna drive it for a couple of weeks like it is then decide. Thanks for the response!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:06 am

The resonators just cancel drone; they do not muffle. They are open boxes. If you replace them with straight pipe, you will effectively have a 7 foot long pipe in which standing waves will form and cause godawful drone. Spend some time studying exhaust system theory before you do anything with them.

Then, go to a parking lot and look at the factory exhaust under every single car and truck there. You will find that factory systems nowadays have less than 4' between the muffler and the end of the pipe, and many times less than 18". This is done for a reason.
Back to top Go down
UlysesEverittMcGill

UlysesEverittMcGill

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Wow, thanks Sherlock! Good information!
Back to top Go down
HERD_546

HERD_546

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Currently I have the stock mufflers and over the axle pipes and they run to the back bumper.. Its still quiet.. The system that I had before was 18" Magnaflow mufflers cut and welded OTA pipes and Dynomax race bullets for Resonaters all in 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent pipes. It had a nice sound and had turn downs at the bumper..
Back to top Go down
http://www.theherd.com
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

I removed the resonator and have (single exhaust) one straight pipe after the axle. Sounds not to bad and doing 70 mph there is no big difference having a resonator or not. Pulling away from a stop is somewhat louder. (IMO)
Pete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Resonators? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resonators?   Resonators? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resonators?
Page 1 of 1