GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flash to pass

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 8:48 pm

I installed the flash to pass switch in the Starship, and it works great. Switched the high an low beam wires to have the highs flash, and spliced the extra terminal to a red always hot wire going to the ignition switch. I have not had the opportunity to use it other than to test it, but I can see it being used on the highway. I also used a FW column, and found that the turn signal switch is different than the B-body. To disable the "push break to shift" all you need to do is disconnect the solenoid.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 pm

So Fred, you swapped the whole column? Flash to pass is a nice feature. Funny, back years ago I used to think my OCC had flash to pass and it was just broken. I never even thought that could be considered a "feature" since my family's base model '80s Jap econoboxes had it standard, then I learned it just wasn't available for our cars. What year FW column's have FTP? I had heard rumors only the '96 had it?
Back to top Go down

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 pm

Until I started reading this post and I went out to doublecheck my wagon,I thought I had FTP on my 91 OCC.Always thought pulling the turn signal back towards me was FTP but I guess I was wrong.L:scratch: ive and learn.
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 12:00 am

And NOW you know why all those imbeciles would never move over. tongue 
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
Lynol

Lynol

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 12:24 am

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
And NOW you know why all those imbeciles would never move over. tongue 
Some states they wouldn't get it even if you DID have it. Whenever I go to CT, and flash my lights no one moves. They all look back at me in shock and confusion as to why I'm flashing my lights when they're doing 45 in a 55 in the left lane.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 am

The FTP switch came on a number of Caddies, not just the FW. I got one off of a 94 and a 96 (the first switch was not functioning). The FTP switch on most of the Caddies is the same unit. It bolts on to the OEM column, and if you swap the wires for the high an low beams and hook up a hot lead to the "new" connector it is an easy mod. If you remove one of the "pins" from a donor connector (with 8-10 inches of wire on it), you can insert it into the original connector on your car (there is a space for it), and then all you have to do is splice a wire to one of the red wires coming to the ignition switch. I swapped the column, because my OEM column was not working right, I was removing the dash for other reasons, and I thought it would be easier to do everything at once...there were issues, as usual. On the other hand it was not all that bad either. I just had a learning experience (make sure used parts are good before installing, and make sure all of the parts are compatible). The FTP is relatively easy, if you are only doing that. You do have to drop the column to get at the parts.

The FW column and 92 or later columns have a stud with a nut head on it holding the ignition switches when you remove the nut for the FTP switch. The 91 columns do not have the "push brake to shift", and the switches are easy to move when you loosen the screws, because it does not have the stud. The nuts and bolts on the column are a mixture of 7mm, 1/4 inch, and I believe 3/8 inch.

Lynol...those people come down here from up north, and think they are still in Conn. You need a reverse printed sign/tint on your front windshield that says "the gas pedal is on the right". They probably would not understand that either.
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 am

The FTP switch (and connector, if you really want one) are still available from GM:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

26035237 - SWITCH, DI - Price: $27.45

12102757 - CONNECTOR - Price: $17.93

Installation instructions can be found at:

http://www.goldsswagon.com/Impala%20SS%20Technical%20Archives.htm

Scroll down until you get to the interior section

- J

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:01 am

You can get the switch at a junk yard for about $5. You do not need a new connector, yours will have the place for the pin, so grab the connector and pigtail while you are getting the switch...the yard will probably not even charge you for the pigtail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flash to pass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash to pass   Flash to pass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flash to pass
Page 1 of 1