GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wrapping the EGR Tube

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Wrapping the EGR Tube Empty
PostSubject: Wrapping the EGR Tube   Wrapping the EGR Tube Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 pm

My goal is to have the top ten posts in the Exhaust forum. Ok, no, that's not my goal but I do have a few threads here now thanks to the work I have been doing on my RMW.

I have read a heck of a lot of threads on the different forums for these cars about exhaust issues, including intake gasket leaks and exhaust manifold bolt breakage. In both cases I have read from people who believe the extreme heat from the EGR tube is playing some role in both of these issues.

My question is whether it might be a good idea to wrap the EGR tube with some high-temp sleeving, perhaps fiberglass? McMaster-Carr has a number of products to consider:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#high-temperature-sleeving/=o84b7z

But I am not sure whether forcing that heat to stay inside the sleeve, preventing the tube from being able to cool down from the surrounding temperature, is going to create other problems.

Any informed opinions?
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping the EGR Tube   Wrapping the EGR Tube Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Interesting idea. The 3.8l (series 1) in my Riviera has a fiberglass wrapping on it' egr tube, but the series 2 does not. Wonder if there's a reason they did it for a couple years then stopped.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping the EGR Tube   Wrapping the EGR Tube Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 11:40 am

I would not worry about it. I resealed my LT1 intake manifold in 2005 and 8 years later when I removed the transmission, there was no oil leak at the rear of the engine.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping the EGR Tube   Wrapping the EGR Tube Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 12:39 pm

From my experience...the main reason for the exhaust manifold bolts issue is poor quality metal. GM released an "updated" manifold bolt kit for our cars.

I have to do exactly what you are doing to my Fleetwood at some point....danged exhaust bolts.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wrapping the EGR Tube   Wrapping the EGR Tube Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wrapping the EGR Tube
Page 1 of 1