GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Buzzing noise, solved!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

Buzzing noise, solved! Empty
PostSubject: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Greetings! Just wanted to share my trans woes. As SOON as bought my RMW ( like within a couple days) I noticed this sound, sorta like a noisy power steering pump, but from under the car. In any gear, at any speed, drive or reverse, even at idle. The sound would even get louder with RPMs. Because its my daily driver, I tried to ignore it; but the sound got louder. Trans drove and shifted fine. I made sure the exhaust wasn't vibrating against anything, as well. But the trans was whisper quiet in park or neutral. With 160k, I decided if the trans pump isn't the problem, it's probably gonna be one day! I popped in a new, 13 vane pump assembly, and BA-zinga, it's fixed! I also installed a 2300 converter since I had the trans out. I still can't decide if its too much stall for a commuter car, or if its just right; it's been a month! Also replaced the filter. I didn't keep track, but I poured a lot of trans fluid in to refill that trans and converter. Just wanted to pass along my experience to anybody else with similiar symptoms
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Sawheet! Smile

Was it a tough swap? It's right in the front of the tranny, right? No special tools needed?
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Yea it's right behind the converter, no special tools. Some guy was kind enough do show how to R&R the pump on Utube
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 10:58 pm

There are more 4L60E disassembly videos on youtube now than ever. Very helpful for anyone starting out. I will say that there are a LOT of tricks that GM techs and rebuilders know that aren't common knowledge, as I've found out (probably forgot a lot of them now).

One thing I did hear fairly recently is that if you take a pump apart and don't put all the vanes back in EXACTLY the same slot they were in, you will get a noisy pump.

It is very possible to get a noisy pump - my 9C1's pump has always been noisy.
Back to top Go down
Swaggerwagon

Swaggerwagon

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:32 am

If I wasn't so lazy, I would've threaded in a pressure gauge, take a reading. Maybe watch the needle bounce?
I saved the old pump. Since it didn't 'fail', I'm sure it's a good candidate for a rebuild. I kinda used it as an excuse
To try a different converter. I'll overhaul the pump this winter. Or maybe next year, or when the kids go off to college, after I redo the kitchen.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buzzing noise, solved!   Buzzing noise, solved! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buzzing noise, solved!
Page 1 of 1